Smoothing problem with two halfs of sphere

The problem im haveing is with a sphere that was cut in half with smoothing aplyed. I get a ridge along where the two halfs meet.

I have tryed various degree angles for Auto Smoothing, I also tryed aplying the smooth to verticies above the problem area so that the problem verticies are solid but this did not seem to help. I’m hopeing someone would have a sugestion of how i can make this have the ilusion of being a single solid sphere when closed.

http://img32.exs.cx/img32/9370/sphereballprob.jpg

Is it a openGL-only related issue (e.g. only in blender’s 3D window) or a rendered-also related issue? Perhaps this darker area doesn’t appear on the final render. :expressionless: If yes, perhaps it has to do with recalculating normals (Edit mode, CTR_A, CTR_N) but I can only guess.

Hope this helps,

yes it would appear to be a normals problem just recalculate them and it should look okay again. :wink:

I have checked and the rendered F12 output still has the problem. I have also played with recalculateing normals, and fliping normals, but am not able to resolve the problem.

Update:

Turns out i didnt quite understand the Auto Smoothing feature and if I set an angle of 21 for auto smooth the problem is gone in the rendered output

I much apreciate all the help in this mater.

The auto smooth result is only calculated at render time, so in the opengl view it just shows it unsmoothed.

I would very much doubt that. Recalculating normals isn’t a cure to all the shading problems.

In any case, like olivS said, this is an openGL shading related issue, using autosmooth fixes it at render time. Be aware though that a too small angle limit will make the problem appear at render time too since edges with a too great angle will be improperly smoothed.

Martin

I would very much doubt that. Recalculating normals isn’t a cure to all the shading problems.[/quote]

i only said that because from the images that is what it looked like - sorry! :expressionless:

I would very much doubt that. Recalculating normals isn’t a cure to all the shading problems.[/quote]

i only said that because from the images that is what it looked like - sorry! :-|[/quote]
Sorry if that sounded directed at you personnally, it wasn’t only meant for you but for everyone that always reply for lots of unrelated questions. It seems to be a trend lately…

Martin