Snap Face to Cylinder with Hole

I’ve once again come to a standstill with understanding how to do something that I am guessing is much easier than I am making it out to be.

I have objects that are already at different angles and one cylinder has a hole in it. I am trying to snap the two Red face together so that they are touching (tangent, or even parallel would work). And I want the two cylinders to be concentric with one another (the Blue edges).

I have moved the origin via the 3D cursor for each object where I “think” they should be. I have tried every option of snapping and can’t find the correct combination to make it work, including Transformation (global, normal, local, tried them) and even tried changing pivot points. I watched at least 10 different videos and can’t find one that demonstrates what I am trying to achieve.

I design in SolidWorks quite often and there I can select and “mate” objects in numerous ways, but I fully realize that blender does things very different, I just can’t figure out HOW it does it?!?! In the attached image that is just one variation I tried, I assure you I’ve tried everything I can think and reading the manual section was of no help of this particular problem.

There is a blend of the same image showing the before, after (the incorrect result) and faked desired result I am trying to achieve. Even the basic snap doesn’t keep the two objects parallel to one another its off like 7 degrees, no idea why. Tried Apply “transform All” and then reset the origins, same results.

I even grabbed CAD Transform addon thinking that may help. It did not. I am clearly not understanding how to set up the objects correctly and which options in the snap tool to get this working.

Snapping_Nightmare.blend (1007.2 KB)

Thanks for any tips or help, this place has been a real asset for when I get stuck, which is all too often.

-Punker

I got you - again there could be a better, easier way, but this works:

1. You do need to set the origins to where you want them to be. The easiest way to find the center is to select vertices and then snap the cursor there, which snaps to the median of the selected verts:
    snap01

2. Go back to Object mode and Set Origin to 3d Cursor:
    snap03

3. Likewise for the other shape, I selected the ring of verts on the back face:
    snap04

4. Then back to Object mode and Set Origin to 3d Cursor:
    snap06

5. Move the 2nd object to the exact location of the first and you’re already halfway where you want to be - they will be concentric because the centers match:
    snap07
    snap08

Now for the rotation - this is a bit tricky, but:

1. Select a face. These steps will be slightly different depending on the face you chose. For some reason I didn’t get good results selecting a face on the red part:
    snap09

2. Align the camera to that face - I did Align View → Align View to Active → Top. Depending on the face you chose you might need to choose a different view than Top:

The camera is now facing directly towards that face:

1. Go back to Object mode, and snap the cursor to the Selected object, in case it moved during our other steps:
    snap12

2. Add a Mesh->Plane, and set the Align to View:

3. So the Plane is where we want it but it’s 90 degrees off:
    snap14

4. Local axes to the rescue. So Rotate the plane in the local axis. In this case it’s the local X axis - so R to rotate, then X, X to get local:
    snap15

5. Rotated 90 degrees and it matches that red face perfectly!
    snap16

6. Now select the 2nd object and copy the rotation values from the plane to the object, and delete the plane:
    snap17

Nailed it!

• well. Actually for some reason in my example, my plane was 180 degrees off so I needed to flip the 90 degrees in x to -90. But the important thing is the local axes should be identical, you just might need to flip a sign to get it right.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much @sizzler for making these images and steps showing how to do this! I was hoping I was just doing everything wrong, and there was a simple way, but it looks like this isn’t as easy as I had hoped.

I used the exact method you show to place the origins, but I just checked my blend file and for some reason, the washer shape’s origin was not where I thought I placed it. I was familiar with that method of cursor to selection-origin to cursor, however I would have NEVER figured out all the other steps on my own without your help!

I really appreciate your reply, big help and thank you again.

-Punker

Happy to help. I was thinking there probably is, or could be, and addon for this!