Snapping problem

I pulled over a twisting cube tower from simple Structure synth converted to an OBJ.

I thought it had potential mapping it to the faces of a dodecahedron and pointing outward.

That was several hours into it. So, I went looking for answers. The answers I got involved using Blender at the outset. The example I have here shows that using a cube from blender or even a series of cubes as I’ve seen created in blender works fine.

When I apply the exact same principles to the structure synth model things go haywire and I’m at a loss for understanding why.

Fairly simple. The cubes are from blender. The box tower is from structure synth.

I’ve tried it in 2.79 as well as 2.83.5 (the latest, I think). With everything I use loaded as well as a factory load. Makes no difference.

The steps. Set Transformation Orientation to local. Set the face to be snapped with the origin centered on that face. Turn on the bounds box. Poke the faces on the dodecahedron to establish a central vertex on each face. Turn on Snapping. (2.83) Set Snap to Vertex, Center, Align to Rotation, and Move. Grab the object and drag it over. It SHOULD snap in place.

Should be enough, as demonstrated to align as shown with the three cubes.

That’s not what happens. Why? And how best to fix it?

dodec_snap_blend.blend (721.8 KB)

A couple of things…
1…Rotate synth -90 on the Y and apply scale/rotation…
2. …Apply Scale to the cubes
3…You might have to re-set origin on the synth back to the bottom face…
4…Snap to Face … on the cubes…snap to vertex on the dodecahedron or Face…

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The cubes were there just to show that it works as suggested (what was otherwise recommended - that I tried. But not with the Synth towers. They were only there to demonstrate that point. My goal is to connect the Synth towers direct to the dodec sides.

I did as you suggested:

1…Rotate synth -90 on the Y and apply scale/rotation…

(Done. The broad end of the Synth tower faced upwards. The narrow end downwards.)

1. …Apply Scale to the cubes (irrelevant as noted)

I assume here you mean: Ctrl-A Scale and Rotation

3…You might have to re-set origin on the synth back to the bottom face…

I did so just in case (Shift S (Cursor to Selection) / Object - Set Origin to Cursor)

4…Snap to Face … on the cubes…snap to vertex on the dodecahedron or Face…

Tried this on the dodec vertex or face (as shown) made no difference.

It should have placed the narrow end up on the Z-axis…
doesn’t matter if it is on the cube or not…either to face of the cubes or the vertex of the dodecahedron
Point was that the import of the synth and the software used to make them was not the same as Blender XYZ axis which caused the synth to attach on the side instead of the bottom…you needed to rotate the synth and apply rotation to fix it…since you ended up with the synth pointing opposite using -90 on the Y then in your case it would have to be +90… which means you have your axis in Blender quite different. Just adjust accordingly…

Got it working.

1 Like