Snapping Vertices to Gridlines, Editing Vertex Coordinates

I’m having trouble with simple modeling things. How could I snap a mesh’s faces to the gridlines in blender? Is it possible to edit the coordinates representing vertices and faces directly?

Lastly, is it possible to get the dimensions of the mesh in units?

If you press Control while moving objects, you’ll move them in “grid units”, that is to say, it’ll move in steps equal to the smaller grid square you can see, but it will not “align” to the grid. If you want a vertex to be aligned to the grid, you have to press Ctrl-S, and choose “selection grid” from the menu that pops up.

Sorry, you lost me there.

Yes. If you press N you’ll get the Transform Properties window. In object mode, it tells you the size of your object. Also, when in Edit Mode, go to the the Editing Buttons(press F9 to see them if you get lost, it on the Buttons Window), to the far right, there’s a lot toggles that turn on, among other things, display of normals, of edge length, of face area, etc.

hope this helps

By editing the coordinately numerically, I mean editing the positions of the faces by changing their values. Not graphically, but numerically.

I’m mainly doing this for Second Life, and even their in-world editor gives the option to enter in coordinates to move primitives, or change their sizes.

Yes, the transform properties panel will not only tell you the location of your selection, it will let you enter numerical values. If you have only one vertex selected, you can enter the x, y, z location of that particular vertex. If you have several vertices selected, the transform works on the median point, and all the actual vertices maintain their original offsets to that point. In other words, the shape won’t change, the whole selection will move.

Blender units are whatever you decide to make them. There is no where you can enter, say, cm or mm and have this show up in a display.

You can also move a selection along an axis by g, x (or y or z) then typing in a number, positive or negative. The selection will move that number of blender units in the specified direction.

How would I re-align my current view with the axes?

To navigate the views more precisely you use the NumPad buttons(the numbers to the right of your keyboard, with NumLock turned on)
pressing 1 gets you the front view(X,Z), 3 gets you the side view (Y,Z) and 7 gets you the top view(X,Y). Ctrl+1, 3 or 7, gets you the same views from the opposite direction. Pressing 5 turns perspective on and off(you’ll notice the difference between perspective and isometric right away). Pressing 0 gets you the camera view(the POV of your renders, so big deal). 2,4,6 & 8 rotate the view in steps of 15º.
Hope that helps.

If I have a rectangular prism and I want to gouge out areas in the shape of other rectangular prisms, what would be the best way to go?

sorry, my English failed me there, I don’t know what you mean by “gouging out”.

I want to remove certain parts of a rectangular prism. What would be the best way to do so?

Ok, I think I get it. It all depends on what you define by “best”. If you’re subtracting prisms from prisms, a quick way to do it is with “boolean operations”. To do that, you need to overlapping prisms. First select the one you are subtracting, and then the one you’re subtracting from, and then press W, and “difference” from the menu. The thing with booleans is that it makes a mess out of meshes, and with more complex shapes you get awkward results.

the other way would be to subdivide the mesh into the shapes you want to remove, and then remove those face, which is more tricky but you’ll have to learn that anyway, cause its kind of essential.

Can I ask what are you doing?

Even though I start off with a rectangular prism, using subf creates a spherical shape. However, using the loop subdivide tool gives what I want. But loop subdivide only divides the block into eight parts, when I need many more. How can I tell it to divide into many more parts?

I’m working on making chassis for a low-floor bus.

double post

If you have a wheel on your mouse, you can use it to increase (or decrease) the number of loops the loop cut tool cuts. You can also simply type in the number of cuts you want on the numeric keypad.

If you are using the subdivide tool, you can use subdivide multi and enter the number of verts to add to each edge.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a mouse wheel, and the only loop subdivide method I know is via Control-RKEY. How do I get subdivide multi?

Bit of a terminology problem.

Ctrl+RKEY (Which I call loop cut tool) can do multiple cuts by simply typing in the number of cuts using the numeric keypad [Ctrl+RKEY, n, Enter] where n is some number.

There is also a “subdivide” tool on the WKEY menu, which will add an extra vertex in each selected edge of a mesh, and connect these new vertices with edges. The WKEY menu also has a “subdivide multi” option, which lets you specify how many vertices to add to each edge. Subdivide does not work on unselected edges.

It looks like that works, but I only want a few cuts in select places. It’s possible to use the Control-RKEY method to make singe cuts controlled by the mouse pointer; is it possible to do the same by entering in coordinates?

Hmmm. You might want to work through robbur’s Precision Modelling – An Engineers Guide tutorials. He has methods to accomplish what it looks like you’re trying to do.

(Snap to grid)
(Ctrl+Z+Move until Snapped on same vert.)
(May take a few tries w/ the snap to grid part if you dont do it right… I do that for quicky results.)

I have one last question: is there a way to select a number of vertices at once without holding shift and right-clicking each one? Similar to the selection tool in raster and vector graphics tools, dragging a box around the vertices you want to select.

press B
and you get a SQAURE AREA selecter, and press B a second time and you get a circle selecter so that you can just rub it around and get a bunch of verts and you can resize it w/ the scroll button.