Snow with UV-texture

I want to make snow in a game. I know how to make parts of a texture transparant so that i could use a plane to make a round snowflake…
but i would have to use one plane per snowflake.

is there a way of making snow with realy low poly? like using only one or two big planes with moving texture on it?

Or is there a better (easy) way of making snow in a game?

Thanks for help…

I don’t know if you just want to see it, or pass throught, but i think that you can archive good results with an animated texture. In texture face mode, chose Add, to see just the snow.

There are a bunch of ways to do this… probably the best being to create a sort of cylinder or multiple cylinders around the character that are parented to it, and then have the animated texture of the snow falling on all of the faces…

You could also have several larger faces with multiple snowflakes on them being randomly added everywhere…

Hmm… I wonder how many poly’s it would be to creat dynamic snowflakes… I’m gonna go find out if it’s possible.

Here’s how I do it: Picture of settings Each flake is decimator 96. Then I set up emmiters above the field with IPOs, link Always to IPO and AddObject, tweak so the flakes disappear after they fall below the field, and voila!

Dynamic snowflakes are very possible, but you need to use an alpha halo plane of coarse, that is, if you want people with average computers to play. Toomai, Your snowfake would be nice, but hundreds of snowflakes 60 poly each is impossible. Your talking 30 000 faces, all with dynamic physics? Not gonna happen. I make working snow with some empties emiting a two sided alpha plane with a little snowflake texture on it, but even that was tough for my compy, and you can see my comp specs in my signature. Add a game on top? Dynamic snow just isn’t possible with the average computer.

A very stupid snow file, but it show you one way.

http://www.savefile.com/files/4709015

thanks a lit guys, i know got it to work right…