Snowflake and Icicle generator

Thanks, I’ll try it. Looking forward to doing some winter scenery :wink:

Now, a day later, I can confirm, the scaling works nicely. Its one more step to do, but as long as its a straight edge its a good workaround.
Surely great if you add the option for smaller ones with kinks in a future release though.

Thanks again for making credible winter scenes a bit more possible. Sometimes post processing is not an option, I my case, because I work a lot with 360 renderings…

1 Like

I had no problem installing on 2.9, but when trying to use I get this error.

I’m just glad to see it being used! Never got around to doing the winter scenes fully myself. Maybe someday :laughing:

If you give me about a week I should be able to work on the kinks, might just do it all the time (trying to work on this around the day job).

@Plan, that’s my fault, didn’t merge something in properly. Should be fixed now!

If you restart after installation it should be fine. At least that was the case in my installation.
Btw. Remember the panel only shows in edit mode.

Some updates to the script now live:

Settings:

• Removed “Reselect Base Mesh” option (this is now the default and unchangeable behaviour)
  • Removed “Work on selected edges” option (this is now the default and unchangeable behaviour)
  • Added “Delete previous generations” option (this will overwrite previously generated icicles, and is the cause for the other two options being deleted)
    • This will remove everything but the base mesh used for initial generation. Recommended to use a separate mesh for generating icicles to prevent accidental loss of important mesh data.

panel

Preview:

• Added “Preview” option to script. Will show pyramids in the 3D view indicating the max/min parameters
  • Previews are removed by pressing “ESC” or mouse right-click
  • Previews will update when parameters are changed, but not if mesh is moved (toggle preview off and on again in this case)
    preview

Other changes:

• Adjustments to min/max parameters
  • Adjustments to subdivisions for kinks
  • Depth/radius ratio check removed (shorter, stubbier icicles now possible)

The Preview feature is a preview itself, might be a bit buggy at times so let me know if it (or anything else) acts up

1 Like

Hey, I just gave this a new try. Looks better, especially as you can now define also smaller ones.
Still, there is a little issue. Have a look at the image, icicles do not get built along the complete edge selected, despite it being one edge.

Maybe you can take a look? Its a simple Archipack roof.

Thanks!

Sorry, that’s an issue with the iterations counter. Simple fix I can do this evening.
If you need an interim solution just increase the “iterations” value in the panel

EDIT:
Fixed now, should fill out the full edge

2 Likes