so...HL2 went gold....

I concur. It seems like most new games are just first person shooters or racing games with little to no innovation. Even RPGs, the genre that got me really interested in computer games, are going downhill.

I am looking forward to Red Alert 3, though. It’s a confirmed project, but no specifics have been released.

Command and Conquer fans, is it true that the Red Alert series is a prequel to the first Command and Conquer and Tiberian Sun? I’ve heard that the end of the Soviet campain it ties in with the Brotherhood of Nod, but I can’t seem to beat it (get stuck on a no-base mission, which is a lot more difficult than the one in RA2 (I think there’s only one in RA2)).

There are rumors that RA3 will give the two series a tighter connection.

Even RPGs, the genre that got me really interested in computer games, are going downhill

I really dont think so. What about knights of the old republic series, dues ex, morrowind, and many more.

It seems like most new games are just first person shooters or racing games with little to no innovation

You cant be serious. So many huge leaps have been made in video games. Games like ninja gadien for xbox, and resident evil for gamecube. What about far cry for the pc that game had amazing graphics. Games are getting more advanced every day.

Just my opinion

Shard

true, graphics and such are getting improved a lot, but it’s making people act retarded! (for lack of a better term)

For example, the Halo craze.Eveyone who plays it, loves it, except me. I beat it twice the day i got it (i also never play games on easy settings… i believe i started on heroic in this case), then took it out of the xbox, put it back in the case, tossed it aside, and went “damn, that sucked. Did I really have to play it?” The flood? all you had to do was get on top of something tall and shoot like crazy. Pretty boring IMO. Occasionally a guy would get up there with you, but what’s one guy when you have 2 guns and a ton o’ grenades? I really hated that library thing or whatever it was called where like every room looked exactly the same.

and half-life? did they REALLY have to have a PERSON shove the thingy in the teleporter? they’re all scientists for crying out loud! jeez, build a friggin robot! (or just take one of the ones you see when you start the game.)

At least quake 3 didn’t really have a story… well, all the characters had their own stories, but it wasn’t tied into the game. It also had great graphics for it’s time and the fact that it was a multiplayer game for the most part.

superx:

About half-life… It’s a plot device. If you can’t get over that to realise that it was one of the best games ever made, then the only one that misses out is you.

About quake3 and halo… Your comments for quake 3 apply to Halo. If you don’t have friends to play it with, then you miss out on Halo. I remember playing for hours and hours and never getting tired in multiplayer when it first came out. Just like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (a better FPS overall I think). Years have passed and I don’t play it much anymore (partially because a little kid scratched up my Halo CD ARGG :x :< ) but I still havel fun to play from time to time. If only it had the replay and AI that Perfect Dark had, I would still be playing.

IMHO The biggest revolution to games is the concept of a replay value. Since games are getting progressively easier to beat, the only place gamers can turn to is multiplayer and side games. Games are just too easy. Take Maximo. Heralded as one of the toughest games out there, I got it expecting to get my ass handed to me like on Ghouls & Ghost (which I still haven’t beaten BTW) and instead I beat it without ever having to continue. I only died a handful of times… Give me a break. I remember every time I played Super Mario Brothers on the NES it was like getting screwed over time and time again, but it was fun. Oh well… At least I have games like Final Fantasy IX and VII. I spent 130 hours overall on FF9. And that was mainly side quests.

I’m EAGERLY looking forward to Half-Life 2. Maybe they can overcome Doom 3’s pitfall and look beyond their ego and realise that games are for gamers and not graphics cards.

It’s about frickin’ time for HL2 to arrive. If I met the guy who leeched the code way back when, I would gladly smash him repeatedly in the balls with a large, blunt object. What a dipshit.

it was clear at the e3 before the last that the game wouldn’t be released on time, the leak was more proof of this then the problem

however, it wouldn’t surprize me much if the leak put them a couple weeks back, but their management of the problem would really have to stink if it put them more than 1 month behind.

face it, the game wasn’t going to come out when they originally said regardless, and delays are not atypical of valve.

I’ve checked out Ninja Gaiden, and it looks impressive. It would be a definite rental (and possible purchase) if it wasn’t for the fact that my newest console is an N64, but it would just be playing off my affinity for ninjitsu. There’s really nothing there I haven’t seen before, only it’s rendered better.

I’ve played Halo, and it plays like Goldeneye, only with better graphics. The enemies still run at you and shoot, only this time they don’t see pits as walls so they can shoot over them.

I’ve come to accept the fact that pretty much the only real innovations we’ll see from here on out are in the graphics and audio department, and that doesn’t really bother me. Once you’ve played Age of Empires, you’ve pretty much played Starcraft and Command and Conquer. What gets me to play the C&C series even though I also have Age of Kings, and even look forward to the next installment in the C&C universe, is the storyline.

In Age of Empires/Kings you have to advance your civilization. Good concept. C&C puts you fighting against or even as a quasi-terrorist faction, and in the Red Alert series it puts you on either side of a highly fictionalized post cold war (it’s not a cold war if there’s fighting, hence the post) scenario. Also a good concept. Also why I shy away from Starcraft, because it also has a warring factions plotline.

Hitman is also a fairly innovative game. I know there are games that preceded it with similar game play, but I don’t know of many where the entire point of the game is to assassinate people, though it kind of falls apart at the end when it takes it back to the same old lost identity, gotta kill your leader scenario.

Sadly, though, the games that seem to be the biggest sellers merely recycle the same old storylines. You’re the only one who can save the world from an army of undead minions/supernatural beings/rogue nations/evil scientists/terrorists/hippies, etc. or you’ve been launched into a parallel universe/another planet/planet’s core and have to fight your way back to the transporter/rocketship/surface while picking up vital items along the way.

Is eye candy really a substitute for good storytelling? If someone were to release a game with the graphics of the new Ninja Gaiden game with the following storyline:

You wake up in Hell and have to fight your way through two levels to collect pieces for a teleporter, after which you’ll have to spend several levels shooting your way into and through a lab to take out a group of scientists in a terrorist nation who are attempting to clone an army by using the demon that followed you through the portal.

would it sell half as well as Halo, Halflife, Doom, etc.?

it was clear at the e3 before the last that the game wouldn’t be released on time, the leak was more proof of this then the problem

however, it wouldn’t surprize me much if the leak put them a couple weeks back, but their management of the problem would really have to stink if it put them more than 1 month behind.

face it, the game wasn’t going to come out when they originally said regardless, and delays are not atypical of valve.[/quote]
So? It was still delayed because of the leak nonetheless. And the guy who leaked it still deserves immediate testicular trauma.

face it, the game wasn’t going to come out when they originally said regardless, and delays are not atypical of valve.[/quote]

A couple weeks? I don’t think thats a reasonable assessment considering the source leak included the networking code. A lot probably had to be rewritten and later reviewed to make sure no cheating would be going on when the final game shipped.

Cheers,
Zarf

“Sadly, though, the games that seem to be the biggest sellers merely recycle the same old storylines”

I do agree with you there. Many games dont put as much thought into story these days. You cant forget the few games that do make a effort for a good story though. Knights of the old republic, metroid prime, and the resident evil game storys are all very good in my opinion. It would be nice if games would get the combination of breath taking graphics and a gripping storyline right more often. I hope that half-life 2 will have a good story, it makes the game more invlolving when you have a good story.

Shard

A couple weeks? I don’t think thats a reasonable assessment considering the source leak included the networking code. A lot probably had to be rewritten and later reviewed to make sure no cheating would be going on when the final game shipped.

Cheers,
Zarf[/quote]
it wouldn’t have come out for a year anyway, so how am I supposed to have a good estimate on how far it put them back?

[particulary because their estimates of release were so wrong]

Back to the Transport Tycoon comment, I’m still on my pII233, and I play that loads.

However still severly looking forward to a new PC and a copy of half life 2.

Makes you wonder what gaming habits will be like in 10 -20 years.
What I wouldnt give to still be around in 2104.

I highly recommend steam purchase, it is painless (<5 min). And i am playing CS:S presently.

Steam? AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA AHA HA HA HA HA AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA AH AH HA HA…ah ha …he …he he he he …ha…

thats good stuff…

You must mean painless AFTER the 30hr download and update and then the 2 hour wait for the NEW SINCE 2 MINUTES AGO security patch. Well, THEN you could even play…in theory…

the purchase over steam is for the people with Good internett.(or for them with Much! time )
I personly will buy it when it comes in the shops in my contry thought :slight_smile: .

3 hours download here. :slight_smile:

and I’ll have HL2 the moment the clock strikes midnight on the 16th :smiley:

I’m EAGERLY looking forward to Half-Life 2. Maybe they can overcome Doom 3’s pitfall and look beyond their ego and realise that games are for gamers and not graphics cards.

omg…thats beautiful…You sum up my thoughts perfectly!

hmmm strange…
Steam sucked when it first came out, but it has since gotten alot better. (No more crashes or messing up my router). Oh and i guess if you had been preloading half-life 2 in stages (like me), you would have never noticed it downloading.