So just how hard would this be?

I absolutely love using blender, I find it even better to use than 3ds max… but one thing I’d really like to see in blender that I don’t even think any other 3d program has done…
Is the option to subdivide using a brush stroke. So you can target just a portion of the model to make more detailed and even have the subdivide brush be given a gradual fall off…

This in combination with the sculpt tools that are already available would give blender something that no other program has. because it seems all programs are made just so you have to subdived to the max and then edit it, for example mudbox and zbrush.

So just how hard would it be to make this addon for blender,
and why haven’t I seen it done already?

If it’s not too hard could you tell me how hard it is to learn python, and aswell learn how to addon to blender. I know java, is it much different/ harder to use?

i think if you do it in the sculpt mode its harder to do it. if you plan to do this tool in edit mode i think its not so difficult, but still if you are in edit mode you could select part of the mesh with a brush (press twice b) then w and subdivide.

i think this tool doesn’t exist its because when you subdivide all you still maintain the edge loops but if you divide part your going to break the flow.

if you know java then you shouldn’t have a problem in learning python, just read the basic how to do lists, strings, if, while, for, etc.

see examples files and use the api
http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/scripts_python/API/

Thanks for your reply juako,
I’ll look into learning a bit of python and see what I come up with.

I was thinking that it would mostly be used in conjunction with sculpt or even just have a little check mark so that when your adding or subtracting you can turn on or off the dynamic subdivide.

You are right about that though I see now why it hasn’t been paid that much attention too, altho I still believe it would be a great addon to the sculpt tool to give the user a bit more of a feeling that they are infact playing with clay and not really worrying about the flow of the vectors.