So Many Questions

I’m fairly new to Blender (found it two months ago), and I’m finding it very frustrating to learn. Rather than bombard the support forums with twenty basic questions per day, I’m wondering if there is some approach that will make it easier to do what I want.

Example - I’m mapping images to faces of the default cube. Today, they will only go on top of the cube, and I want my image on the front. Yesterday it worked fine. So, another question to support.

I’m not stupid (teach at tertiary level in computer science programs), have a lot of experience with other aspects of computers (eg programming) and graphic applications (pretty good with photoshop/gimp). I’m usually a very good self learner. I’ve got several references (Essential Blender, a few others) and have read the online NoobtoPro, manual, etc. And yet I can’t figure out why my image goes on top of the cube and not on the front, like it did yesterday.

I know Blender is not designed to be intuitive, but rather to be efficient for experienced users. However the learning curve seems to be extremely steep. I’m contemplating having to spend a year studying how to reliably assign textures to faces, which shouldn’t be that hard, and anyone in support will wonder what the problem is. So, is there any alternative to asking 20 basic questions a day? The community here is great and has been very helpful, but I really don’t want to become a complete pain.

So, is there any alternative to asking 20 basic questions a day?

What’s wrong with asking tons of questions?
You don’t want to be pain right. Don’t worry just ask away
everyone else does.:smiley:
Also use search. Many of the questions you can think
of have been asked and answered many times already.

Thanks JDA, I’ll take that as carte blanche :smiley: Hope I’ll be in a position to answer a few someday.

Just keep trying, I have blender do random things like that too, but I can usually find a solution. Is the cube uvmapped? that’s the most reliable way to place textures.

@averil:

Maybe the first time that you unwrapped the cube you were in front view (NUM1), and the second time you unwrapped the cube, you were in the default top view (NUM7)?

I’ve found that the view is important when unwrapping cubes without seams. The Faces are layered on op of each other in the UV editor (try moving the points around to see what’s under them).

I’ve also found the most reliable way to get an image mapped to a particular face is to use face select mode. Using face select mode in edit mode, click on the face that you want to map an image to and then press u or select unwrap from the menu. This will unwrap only the face that you have selected.

Hope that this helps… There are a few ways of unwrapping objects that have subtle differences in the results depending on what result you are looking for. I’m by no means an “experienced” Blender user, but I mess about a fair bit and am improving :).

Seams are a helpful way of separating faces if you haven’t used them yet.
In edge select mode, select the edges that you want the UV map to be cut up along, select Mesh->Edges->Mark Seam and then unwrap the object with the default Unwrap option in the menu (u key).

averil,
while reading your post, i noticed that you “might not” have blender set up to display which view you’re working in. Assuming you have not done any customization to your setup, I’d suggest to go to the preferences panel (see picture attached) and check “View Name”.
Doing this will display which view you are working in and make life a little easier … just a little :wink:
http://ernstrenner.com/files/Screenshot-2.png
Once you have done that, push the panel menu back up again and press: ctrl + u and left click to accept. Tthis will save the setting so that next time you start blender, it will display automatically. Hint: Make sure that you have an empty scene before you press “control + u”, as doing so will make it the default startup scene.

Ciao for now :slight_smile:

Thanks for replies and suggestions people - I’ll keep trying and keep asking.

look at http://gryllus.net/
it has a lot of good video tutorials on a lot of basic and intermediate stuff

Try out the older summer of documentation stuff on materials and textures it covers alot on materials excluding nodes. But as a new blender it usually better to start with regular materials before moving on to nodes, with your experience in photoshop and gimp it shouldn’t be too hard to learn nodes should the time come.

Thanks again for encouragement people. @doncuan, that sure looks an interesting site. I’ll have a good look at what it’s got to offer.