So my friend got Office 2007 and he's got a problem

Well he says he’s got a problem. a friend of mine recently bought Microsoft Office 2007 and he tried to install it on his computer. But it won’t let him because it says it needs Windows Vista instead of XP.
Now I thought Office 2007 could install on xp, or is there some version that requires Vista.
I haven’t seen this myself, just told from over the phone.

Now if this is true, is there a way to trick install it on xp?

Your friend needs to get the version of office 2007 for xp or get vista.
check the microsoft website/forums for what he needs.
In the mean time, tell him to download Open Office, it’s free, does most everything ms office does & is fully compatible with xp. He will be so happy that he forked out $$$ for something that doesn’t work, take it (msO) back to the shop & take you out on the town to show his appreciation for saving him sooo much money on an essentially useless program. (apparently not compatible with many older office files also)
Oh did I mention check the ms website/forums, that’s where similar problems are sorted out.
m.a.

+1 vote for open office. Unless the dude is in a corporate atmosphere that requires him to use office, then there’s no real reason to use ms office. Really :wink:

If your friend owns the computer, and not a company, he can install OpenOffice. The only difficulty I’ve ever had with MS Word conversions (and I’ve used Open Office and it’s predecessor Star Office for many years) is in dealing with MS Equation editor’s non-standard format.

As an aside, it’s a wonder MS hasn’t had a class action suit over their Equation editor – it’s a carpal tunnel generator if I’ve ever used one. Perhaps that’s because so few use it, and so seldom, that it’s not an issue.

In the one math heavy environment I did work in, a lot of grad students were very impressed with how fast I could knock out equations in OpenOffice, compared to their experience with MS Word. Several switched, but the sticking point for some was that professional journals generally don’t want to deal with multiple formats, so they require either MS Word documents or PDF files, and no other.

The irony, of course, is that many (most? all?) journals use LaTex to typeset their jounals, so they must convert MS Equations into the format OpenOffice uses.

I beta tested (and am a current user) of both VIsta and Office 2007. I used the same disk to install on both XP and Vista with no issues. When I looked at the products for sale, I only see a single version for both XP and Vista for Office. Can you post a link where there are versions for XP or for Vista?

Does your friend have SP2 installed for XP. Now that is a requirement that he must meet to install on XP.

Another vote for Open Office. I’ve found that it can do some things M$ Office can’t. cough vector graphics cough

• 2 votes for OpenOffice (“royal we”, you know ;))

As far as I know, you can’t use .svg as file format when inserting image files. Tell me how to do it; I’ve been wanting such a feature for a long time.

Aight one vote less for open office. I have office 2007 on xp running perfect. So kinda odd, but he could probably just go back to the shop and swap it.

And there will be a student version on sale for 60$ soon in the USA, which is a very decent price.

Indeed, but not quite as good as the price for the fully capable version of OpenOffice.

Maybe check out Scribus if you have really complex layout needs. SVG support is a key feature for them. Do your drafts in OO.o writer, graphics in inkscape, and layout in Scribus, and you have a pretty good publishing combo.

why does everyone feel the need to bring up open source versions of things when someone has a problem with a ‘particular’ paid software.

I use both at work, but for completely different reasons, neither is a killer app.

I have a friend who has office 2007, and he has said multiple times that he liked 03 better…
It is probably cheaper now too…
I use 03 because my dad got a couple of free copies from Microsoft.

I don’t mean using .svg as an image file, but using Open Office to make vector graphics. It comes with it’s own Graphics editor. Go to File > New > Drawing.

I would recommend OpenOffice, but since he has paid for MS Office, it is his choice.

I’ve heard of nothing but problems and more problems with Office '07. Save the headache and go with a previous version of Office.

Office 2007 is designed for vista although in my experience it works with XP. I used to run office 2007 on xp. But it runs faster on vista and have fewer problems than on xp. I know I used to work for the suckers and we were forced to use office 2007 beta and beta versions of vista to work on. SOOOO many problems that I wanted to run away. I actually broke my laptop out of frustration one day.

I’m just curious why you need the highest version of something like Office suites. If I have to I would go with Corel’s WordPerfect Office X3. It’s cheaper and it’s got what most wanted in an office suite and it’s perfectly compatible with MS’s. I’m considering to buy it myself to produce sophisticated pdf files.

Yep, there’s only so many things that you can do with an office suite eh. It’s just a scam really, releasing totally new versions every few years, when 90% of the features are carried through. And any new features are generally rather obscure. What does Office 2007 do that Office 2000 couldn’t, or that OpenOffice can’t I wonder. I know Office 2007 finally had support for a much larger number of rows in excel, as it was limited to something like 64000 before. This is more of interest to Engineers though I think, who deal with huge datasets.

I think we mention open source progs when someone has a trouble with proprietary software, because those who do, actually believe the Open Source Software is better. I know I do. We are on a forum for an open source 3d program after all eh. There’s a lot of devoted linux users here.

Heck, a year ago I would never have imagined I’d be sitting here in front of a computer loaded with Linux. But from being educated about Microsofts business practices, and seeing what open source was capable of, including the great community, I was converted so to speak. It was actually Blender that introduced me to the world of Open Source, as I saw Linux being mentioned etc. Anyway, I’m happy enough. I think its good that people mention the alternatives, as perhaps people haven’t heard of them. It can’t hurt to try Open Office - it’s free, and if he prefers Microsoft Office in the end, then that’s his choice.

Nope, I’m not going for Linux until the font resolution is fixed. It’s not nearly as crisp as in Win or Mac.

I use Blender not because it’s open source, but because it’s good. I can’t say the same thing with Gimp, Inkscape, etc. when I have world-class CorelDraw and Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro.

If you’re talking about Open Office specifically there, it does run on Windows, in which case the font rendering is handled by Windows. If not, then I can only say that I personally don’t really notice the difference in font rendering between Linux and Windows. There probably is a difference, albeit a relatively slight one, but I guess I just don’t see it. However, Sabayon did seem to have something special over other distros… I don’t know if that’s just in their big non free version that has a whole bunch of stuff bundled with it.

Anyway, I used Windows for years and years before I moved to Linux, and overall the UI transition has actually been a vast improvement for me. I use KDE, as I’m not really a fan of the gnome interface. It’s so customizable, and since I’m a fan of vertical task panels, I just need one bar down the left and I have everything on there that I need.

As far as photoshop and coreldraw go - sure, I like those apps, but I don’t need them. Gimp can do most of the things that photoshop can, so when I do need to fool around with a picture, it’s enough for me. We’ll see how it goes when I need to do advanced stuff. Anyway, that’s just my personal experience.

Anyway, I’m harping on. This is a thread where a guy asked for help so if we want to debate the benefits of open source apps vs commercial maybe we should do that in a new thread eh :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course the question has probably been answered, since the problem he’s having could simply be explained that the cd is not compatible with windows xp, and if it is compatible and still won’t install, then he needs to contact the people he bought it from, or look on other forums where there are more office 2007 users who may have the same problem.

Good for you. I still think that commercial software will continue to thrive and will far outpace open source in development. Just because open source keeps improving doesn’t mean the other side is frozen in development. Look at apps like modo, Max, Maya, etc. They’re getting more powerful than ever. Sophisticated features are being added even with mid-end apps like Carrara and TrueSpace. The same thing is true when it comes to commercial OSes. Needless to say, Microsoft is not sleeping. It’s got millions of dollars to spend in R&D.