so what do we do now Mac people?

blender runs like crap on OSX… major lags and frequent crashes…
Mac people know what i’m talking about…

this has been going on for about 6 months now… how are you guys dealing with this?
dual boot is not an option… i didn’t buy a macbook to run something other than OSX…

waiting for answers :confused:

It does?

Of course I’m running a computer set up for graphics so… I may have no say. I’ve heard a lot of MacBook complaints, maybe it’s MacBook?

Actually, Blender runs like a dream on OSX. Where it runs terribly is on macbooks specifically. This problem is apparently the fault of Apple’s opengl drivers (I understand).
So, if you have anything but a macbook, you’re good. Unfortunately, macbooks are popular. Now I could be wrong, but I think there was a patch/fix that somebody did that resolved the issue – but you’ll have to search; I don’t have it bookmarked or anything because I’m on an iMac.

Good luck.

@blenditall: i used a build from the 10-page thread
the problem is cloth sim and game engine are disabled… i don’t know what other physics system is disabled too,but even that build crashes more frequently when i updated my system (10.5.5)

i know it’s a problem with Apple, i know a macbook isn’t the best machine to run blender on, i know i was an idiot for not searching this thing before buying my macbook…

but what on earth can i do to be able to run blender smoothly?

Dont know what the problem is but I have been running 3 versions on macbook with tiger of Blender, no problem. Maybe got something to do with Leopard and Blender

yes, it’s related to Leopard…

From what I understand about this it is caused by the combination of the graphics card in the Macbooks + Leopard + Blender. So there is nothing much you can do about it except try Blender on one of the new Macbooks, downgrade to 10.4 or dual boot with Linux or Windows.

I am using a very old MacBook running Tiger with a very outdated graphics card, and Blender runs just fine and dandy for me.

Edit: One thing that sucks majorly on my macbook is that blender runtimes don’t play sound.

Im using a fairly new computer with leopard and blender v.2.4.5 (i think, i just know it has a 2 a 4 and a 5 in that order, and a couple of .'s), and it works fine, rarely crashing and only lagging if i do things really fast (like super fast undo, that messes it up… :smiley: )

I still want to know why people think Blender doesn’t work on Macs: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Supported_platformsScroll on down to Ton Roosendaal. Yeah!

I still want to know how people DON’T have problems with Macs…

let’s get something straight… from what i read, you face these problems when you have:

1. MacOSX Leopard (10.5 and above).
  2. Intel GMA graphics cards.

RedJay, Even Ton has 10.3 and 10.4 AND ATI graphics cards, in which case the problem won’t exist…

a bit of search and i found someone here is using VMware Fusion http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=138092
it seems to be one of the harsh choices… i was also thinking of using Codeweavers CrossOver…
but i’ll still be open to suggestions

Umm. from what I read, it’s a combination of your graphics card, the MacBook and Leopard. I have Leopard with no prob.

So, if you have anything but a macbook, you’re good.

From what I understand about this it is caused by the combination of the graphics card in the Macbooks + Leopard + Blender. So there is nothing much you can do about it except try Blender on one of the new Macbooks, downgrade to 10.4 or dual boot with Linux or Windows.

I am using a very old MacBook running Tiger with a very outdated graphics card, and Blender runs just fine and dandy for me.

So yeah, I suggest downgrading, cause it’s a combination. The less problem-causing things, the better Blender runs.
Edit: btw, look around in pics, it’s a MacBook Ton uses. There is a dev using Leopard, definitely not a MacBook.

Srry RedJay, none of those. It’s actually the Intel Cards.Just now in October, Apple gave Macbooks the great Nvidia cards. Now in 10.5.5 graphics driver problems are fixed… For all minus MBP. Because MBP and all others except for MacBook have nVidia cards. Now though, Macbook has nVidia cards which literally fixes the problem! So it’s actually Intel Cards. After OpenGL errors got fixed in either 2.48 or OSX 10.5.5, Blender runs like a dream.

Not sure of the pics, but based on the specs on the page you listed earlier, it isn’t a MacBook but is a MacBook Pro. The MacBook never had a dedicated video card prior to the newest ones (nvidia). The ATI cards were part of the original core duo and early core 2 duo MacBook Pros.

ATI aint that bad…

so they solved the problem by changing the whole graphics card??? wow!! way to go Apple…

what about the unfortunate people that got intel cards? are they gonna change them for free??

this is sad… OSX is nearly perfect, it combines the stability of Linux and ease of use of Windows… if it doesn’t run Blender though, it is USELESS… :mad:

PS: don’t change this thread to OS wars, that last sentence was merely my personal opinion…

Maybe you could email or call them and ask. Who knows? … maybe… just maybe…

so here is how i run blender now… i never thought i would do such thing… i hate emulation and virtual machines with passion…
well, i guess operating systems never seemed to do what you want them to…