Soc 2006 SkyGen Test Windows Builds. 15/08 (LGuillaume)

New compilation for windows : http://blendertestbuilds.de/index.php?dir=Testbuilds/SOC2006/Sky_engine/windows/

UI modified, scattering params into UI, sky is now visible for rays (at least mirror)
fixed: cloud deleting, loading, sun halo visible through objects

MicWit,

While not “physically correct”, I’m assuming this can be made to work in conjunction with the Sun object in some pleasing way:
Blender Special Materials > Lens Flares

Samir

Nice work there Sionix! Great build!
(thanks LGuillaume)

Reflects Refracts and AOses well (use “sky texture” for that)
However, halos (clouds) are invisible to raytracing I think, so clouds don’t show (at least in refractions)

Now, I’m exploring the new clouds parameters ^^

Thanks!
Dani

I am seeing a strange problem with the sun. I set up the sun originally and all was well except that there was no lighting in front of the object ( a cube) to which I had pointed the camera. I then created a simple lamp and positioned this between the lamp and the camera, now each time I render the Sun jumps back to where the second lamp was created.

It is almost as if it incorrectly reads the coordinates of the second lamp and assingns them to the sun.

Luis

Probably you have “Use time and pos” button checked in sun settings

Probably you have “Use time and pos” button checked in sun settings

Thanks Sionix, now that you mention it I have. I was under the impression that these did not yet work but it appears that I was wrong.

Luis

Hey, that looks cool. But when I tried using the lense flare, it didnt work on the sun. Havent had an indepth look into it yet though, only tested with the sky implemented, maybe that stuffs around with it.

MicWit

what’s the technique behind the clouds? is it true volumetric rendering (voxels) or do you use sprite-particles?

thanx for reply… i’m impressed
simon

From what I’ve read, it seems like we might have sprite-particles.

Aligorith

yep, sprites

I’m seeing the date, but where can I put the location of the sun? or better the latitud of my place?

I wonder how FlightGear does it. They seemed to have quite a good sky gen…

Aligorith

I see there’re too few screens with cloud render in this thread :slight_smile:

http://sionix.pbwiki.com/f/screen.jpg

New submit coming soon :wink:
Please, if you will notice any feature that SkyGen must have from your point of view, write here.

Really nice clouds, maybe you should find a way to get them raytraced and make an example of clouds reflecting off water. And I’m not sure about this but do they have the ability to cast shadows on land objects too?

Well, an option to “rotate” the North should be great :slight_smile:

Sionix: Those clouds are lookin’ good. Can we get a .blend for that scene? I’d like to see the mesh(s) & settings used to get those shapes.

Although still a WIP, your SkyGen is coming along nicely . . . I plan to use it in an image submission for the next issue of BlenderArt magazine (architecture category).

Keep up the good work!

We should see if we can get terragen to cooperate and integrate their sky gen technology…
The clouds don’t look very real at the mo but keep at it

Those clouds would look much better if they had some nice sunset lighting on them. Will it be possible to generate thin wispy clouds as opposed to huge seperate cloud objects?

Koba

Yes, reflections and shadows remain

Cire: I’ll give a link to .blend with new commit (planning this weekend). thanks

Anthony, Koba: SG still in process

That looks pretty good! I think the method you use offers quite some controls to the user.

But I’m still unable to have such nice clouds so you might as well have to post a quicky blend file to demonstrate ^^

keep it up!

Dani