This post is a means for me and the community to communicate about my Google Summer of Code project. The accepted proposal can be found here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kupoman/BGE_LoD_and_Cleanup_Proposal
I will be starting with an integrated discrete distance based level of detail (LoD) system, and then transitioning into a bug fixing/small feature phase. For this later part of the project I am looking for 3-4 features that the community would like to see added to the game engine. In this thread I would like to generate and discuss those ideas. The ideas will be collected at a later time and discussed with other BGE developers to determine if they will be a fit for this project.
The kind of ideas I am looking for are ones that match the following criteria:
- can be implemented in about a week
- will impact a large amount of users.
List of current Ideas:
- Better control of V-sync
- Options for non-linked real time duplicates
- Logic Brick UI improvments (comments, color coding, properties for values)
- Better control of material properties during runtime
- FoV setting in Python API
- Procedural textures and displace modifier
- Better material support with Bullet
- Add Xray support for screen rays
- Camera function to convert screen positions to world positions (with provided depth value)
- Game launcher
- Sun shadow improvements
- Better support for existing mapping options
- Cleanup/improve material shadow options
- Point light shadows
- Python collision API
- Python Sensor and Actuator
- VideoTexture objects from data instead of file
For the LoD system, I will be looking for feedback to make the feature as usable as possible. My current plan is to attach LoD levels to the base object (LoD 0 / most detailed object) with a distance value. These other LoD levels will be other Blender Objects that exist in the scene. I will be creating a UI mockup in the next couple days to post here.