Soft Body Simulation 'Magnetizing' to Collision Object

Hi all,

I’ve been working on a soft body animation where a sphere inflates within a glass box. Originally, I attempted to use a cloth simulation, but I was having trouble inflating the cloth correctly, so I opted for a soft-body with a force-field to fill the space. In the below pictures, I tested my soft body with a series of cylinders, to make sure that my subdivisions would allow for a decent amount of deformation.

Squish2

However, when I tried the same sphere in the intended box, the sides of the sphere seemed to ‘magnetize’ to the sides of the box, shown in the below image. I’m not sure what is causing this attraction, but it doesn’t seem natural and tends to bog down the baking of the animation.

The final result is decent enough, but I wanted to know it was possible to stop this ‘magnetization’ and lower the simulation baking time. If I wanted to work on a larger-scale animation, I don’t think Blender would be able to handle it. Any advice on using the soft body or suggestions with shapekeys/cloth would be appreciated!

Thanks!

The question is: do the sphere ‘magnetizate’ to the cylinders? (Not visibile on your images) And does the box have a ‘decent’ subdivision (no wireframe image)? Also your test is on convex body and you target has plane sides… One posibility is that if you used a UV-sphere the sides are not equal distribted so maybe try a ico sphere?