softbody modelling

I was wondering if there was a way to model using softbody, or if it would be possible to implement.

or even if you could use your baked results as a new editable mesh.

it would be great if you could use a tool (like proportional editing, but with softbodies) so you can literally drag a piece of cloth in realtime, and have it update.

for example, say I wanted to lay a cloth over an object, then edit it from that point on, cutting the fabric around the bottom, then hanging it up to see what it looked like.

see, my problem is (well this problem anyway) is that I want to be able to drag a vertice, and not have the connecting edges stretch, more I want the whole object to move, though not staying rigid.

is this possible, or is there another way to do it?

re: stretching

It’s a matter of playing around with the settings - you can get a fairly stiff cloth effect.

I think these settings might provide something useful,
friction: 4.4
grav:9.8
mass: 1
use goal: create a vertex group for whole cloth and use that setting weight to 0
G Stiff: 0.8
G Min: 0.2
G Damp: 5.4
G Max: 1
Use Edges
Stiff Quads
E Stiff: 0.8
E Damp: 5

I think the important settings regarding cloth stiffness are Stiff Quads, E Stiff/Damp, G Stiff/Damp.

for example, say I wanted to lay a cloth over an object, then edit it from that point on, cutting the fabric around the bottom, then hanging it up to see what it looked like.

With this type of thing I think you would have to do cloth simulation in stages. Bake initial simulation. Duplicate out the end of the first simpulation. Make edits to your mesh and then do another softbody simulation.

… ah - but your main problem is self collision but you can stage the scene so that this is less of a problem.