Softwrap - Dynamics for retopology

A feature sugggestion : locking vertices using groups

Yup, you are the second person to ask this feature.
Its already on the things-to-add-list.

1 Like

Jeacom, those base meshes look great!

Only suggestion I can think of is that they don’t appear to have eye sockets or a mouth interior…

Yes, you are right, I guess I’ll make multiple variations.

This add-on uses C compiled modules to get some extra speed needed for dense meshes…

Yeah I presumed it was something like that, thank you for the answer. Perhaps including this information on the market page would be useful for potential buyers.

The base meshes look well enough, there don’t seem to be any glaring problems with them.
Improvements could be made on the forehead area, where the mesh density is lower compared to the face. Also, could you show (highlight) where the shoulder loops go? They presumably don’t make any weird turns and go all along the body?

Hello, I’d like to ask whether the new base meshes are available to download from the addon’s page? I didn’t see them there.

Hi, My HD died and the base meshes got lost, I’ll have to remake them, I’m setting up my OS to continue work on my projects before.

Any news about macos version?

Unfortunately, no mac version planed, macs are too expensive for me where I live and the pandemy doesnt help, I could theoretically make mac builds using a VM but I prefer not to break apple’s EULA

Been secretly working on a new simulation engine, I have hopes that those new dynamics will make for better retopology, and it’s even less physically accurate, although I have cared about energy conservation (kinda) so it doesn’t fly to the infinite like it usually happens with softwrap 1.0

It has some fun material properties, like anisotropic plasticity that propagates itself trough edges and shape memory, it also has internal pressure that is sort of positive and negative at the same time.

The downsides of this engine is that it doesnt support stiffness so the simulation is at its maximum floppiness and it’s tweaked to take advantage of quad meshes connectivity for its dynamics which causes triangle meshes to not work so well but I hope it does make the mesh more flexible when wrapping.

Still, it’s a super weird motion when not snapping to anything tho.

4 Likes

This plugin is a god gift for retopo.
However, I don’t know if it’s a bug, but simulation works thought interface. Example: I couldn’t click a button if simulated mesh is under it.

Oh, that unfortunally cant be fixed easily due to the way blender handles clicks it seems, maybe I can move the panel outside the N tab tho.

1 Like

Ok, just redone the engine… again, I’ll call it the 2.0 version tho.
I changed how the springs are placed and made up more unrealistic dynamics.

It looks like some sort of alien space jello now, but I guess it will work better, specially without all the race conditions.

7 Likes

I’m convinced you can make a realtime fluid tool.

Haha maybe, but it wouldn’t be a very realistic one.

1 Like

While I’m interested in a WrapX alternative in Blender, seeing these gifs and videos also makes me think: couldn’t this be used for UV unwrapping? Particularly complex faces tend to have overlapping parts that Blender is ill-equipped to fix on its own. Could this solver be used for such a thing?

I think a 2D version of this simulation is possible, but it would need self collision to work for UV unwrapping, so It would be much harder.

1 Like

Experimenting with some tweaks to the dynamics + pins.

Got some nice smooth deformation and it’s possible to tweak the area of influence using the empty’s scale.

5 Likes

New algorithm to pick better candidate vert pairs for springs for the diffusion plasticity.
This makes the simulation more stiff and stable and also make the deformations spread more and last longer.

I also added a preview for the pin scale so its more obvious that it’s supposed to work kinda like a proportional edit but not quite.

Thinking more about it, I’m worrying about how intuitive the new settings will be for this engine because there’s stuff I completely made up and am not sure if there’s a real world equivalent like “diffusion plasticity”, “structural distance”, “volume preservation force”, “shear force”.

Ah and yeah, the monkey eyes pop out like that because theres no energy conservation anymore, or even the concept of energy for that matter.

1 Like

Added the snapping to the new engine. now I can actually compare the results with the one sotwrap currently uses.

it feels far smoother and more tolerant to references in shape between the source and target meshes.

7 Likes