Solar System

I am making a solar system for school. I cannot get the sun to give off light. I put a lamp inside it, but it didn’t work through the planet. How can I make it work?

Don’t use lamps. Set the Emit value of the sun to max and the ref value of the planets to max. Make sure all the Radio buttons are on in all the meshes and the radio button is on in the rendering buttons. Looks best this way imo.

Thanx

But now I got a new problem. When I click render, it acts like its doing an animation, but with a black screen. An it dosnt stop after a few frames, it just keeps going.

weird, make sure Env Map button and ray button aren’t on in the rederings, or the Do Sequence. You must have some other stuff in there I don’t know about. Play with it :slight_smile:

It goes to 1,000 but only counts it as one frame. So that fixes the problem.

One last question. How do I change the color that is emitted by the sun? Because right now, it is white.

oh for the love of god don’t use radiosity! use a lamp inside the sun and disable the “shadow” button in the lamp settings.

OK, then how do I get the shadows to go to the other side? Right now, I am using a Hemi light, which is the only thing that goes through the sun, and the shadows are on the wrong side

For the love of my aunt jemiamah!!!. Turn on RayTrans or Ztrans and make it emit a little.
go here for a test i made on how to make a real light ogject with out radiosity.

http://headcheese.zapto.org:8000//Blender_files.htm/

then right click the REAL LIGHT SOURCE LINK AND SAVE IT.

look at the materials and every thing

The only way that you can get shadows is with spotlights. You will probably want to put some spotlights inside of the sun, and rotate them so that they are facing out of the sun towards the planets. This should make the planets be light on one side and dark on the other. You will have to mess around with the sun’s texture settings some to make it so that the the spotlight is not effected by the sun itself.
I guess that another way would be to just use a regular lamp, and set lamps with negitive values behind the planets.

Not sure exactly what you want but try this:

1: parent ordinary lamp to camera (this lamp will illuminate your sun)
2: place lamp on its own layer and press layer option in lamp buttons
3: place the ‘glowing sphere’ on the same layer
4: place other spheres (planets) on a different layer
5: place an ordinary lamp in the center of the glowing sphere on the same layer as the other spheres. Make sure the layer option is selected for this lamp.

http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/sphere.jpg

No AO or ray tracing or transparency required!
Hope this helps,
GreyBeard

Bah, the sun ‘emits’ light. The sun is white when viewed from space. Use Emit you wimps. :stuck_out_tongue: