Solid state drives

Could anyone share some experience on using a solid state drive on a laptop ?
Both in general and specifically for 3D use.
I read it’s energy efficient, silent, less fragile faster for some things but maybe has some difficulty with manipulating large files?
What I would like to find out mostly is if it can completely replace a disk drive or if one still has to have the old type as a first or second disk.

I use them in eeePC and AcerOne. Yes, there are really fast for reading but only in Linux. In Windows (Xp/Vista don’t know about 7) there are absolutely unusable because too slow.

nuff’ said.

Windows 7 optimised for SSDs

If you go for an SSD, remmber you’ll generally have to live with less space, unless you pay a premium for higher capacity drives.

Richard

which dies faster from normal use: SSD or HDD?

In theory - HDD dies faster. In practice depends on manufacture and intensive of “normal use”
For good SSD - 25 years, for good HDD - 10-15 years. ( In theory)
But cost is really meter. For money you spend for good SSD you can bay many good HDD and build raid and have some drives for later use. But this will be noisy and hungry for electricity.

Which one will be hungry for power dimaL ? the HDD i guess?
I’m interested in a clevo tablet pc. I’m willing to pay more since my compaq Evo has broken 3 HDD while I had it…

So it seems there’s actually only pros and non cons in favor of SSD on a laptop for every one except the higher price at buying time, right? (I’m about to order :))

Keep in mind that SSD has a lower level of re-write cycles to a given physical memory register than a magnetic media HDD. IOW, it “wears out sooner” in terms of the number of times a specific area can get written to. Fortunately, there’s usually circuitry within these drives that keep track of this and mark areas that cause problems to prevent them from being accessible again. So, this doesn’t cause problems, it just reduces its capacity.

Again, this is entirely dependant upon how you use one of these. If its an application which is constantly writing/deleting/over-writing data, then the life span is significantly reduced. If its essentially just storage (Write-once, or seldom), then it’ll be fine (and longer as its solid state - as has been mentioned already.)

Also, since this tech is under constant development, this factor will likely become less and less of an issue over time.

Additionally, AFAIK, defragmentation is also not at all a factor on these devices. Is this correct? I’ve heard that its okay to defrag them, but since there’s no physical sectors requiring a read/write head on a swing-arm to go there (solid-state, again) there is little reason to do so.

From my experience solid states are much slower. Yes, they are quite, and don’t get as hot. I find them a lot slower, maybe linux optimizes them, but they still aren’t as fast as my HDD.

BTW, macbook air comes with them installed.

Ah. that’s too bad.

maybe linux optimizes them, but they still aren’t as fast as my HDD.

BTW, macbook air comes with them installed.
Why do you say that? you used windows only?
Any confirmation of that from anyone?