Solutions to common problems

Yes, thank you theeth for the link to that thread. Solved all problems I had 100%.

z3r0d & all,
I’m back here because I haven’t properly solved my graphic problems.
Reducing my Windows 98SE settings to 16 bit colour depth was a tempory fix.
That stopped my crashes well enough to make blender work & see me through my learning phase. but now I’m stuck on 16bit.

Possibly unrelated, but I’ve been trying to to use images for UVs & normal textures & I find the preview & the render is scewed left.
Investigations reveal - Paint Shop Pro & Gimp
can’t save images as 16bit tga.
I found a free one “IrfanWiew” which does 16 bit tga.
Now I’m trying to get my Graphics Card to work with Blender at 24bit
colour depth.

I’m going to buy another Video Card.
Please advise,
Regards, Brian.

edit: I installed Python & executed z3r0d’s script (passed ok).
In windows98SE control panel, I reduced hardware acceleration to zero.
That stopped crashes. :smiley:
Now I have a 3D graphics accelerator card that doesn’t accelerate. :frowning:

That DLL fix is quite simple really, I don’t know why I didn’t consider it in the first place. :confused:

Works like a charm for me, as well - and to anyone who’s actually DOWNGRADED to 3.9 COMPLETELEY, go back to 4.5 (most recent), and do the 3.9 atioglxx.dll fix for blender, works great.

I’m running a fresh install of Blender 2.33a in windows xp w/ nvidia geforce fx 5200u and 768MB DDR. It is set up to save images as jpeg but, it seems to be saving them as “*.tga”. Does anyone know of a good, free program that I can use in this environment to view this file type or, please tell me how to fix it?

the option for image type is in the render buttons

you sure you set it to targa?
(this can probably be fixed real quick as it is likely an error on your part. if you are comfortable with IRC ask on #blenderchat, else… PM me?)

Even if your display is running at 16-bit, blender is internally all 32-bit, so loaded textures don’t have to be 16-bit, they can be whatever blender can load. Similarly the output file will be 32-bit without any of the quality drop caused by displaying it on a 16-bit screen.

Nope. Like I said , I have it set to jpeg but it renders to tga but, nevermind on this 1 as I’m dl’ing linux as i post this.

Thanks for trying to help tho :smiley:

Recoil wrote:

Nope. Like I said , I have it set to jpeg

Are you rendering a still image or an animation ?
The procedure is slightly different for each. See online manual.
Brian.

Phlip wrote:

Even if your display is running at 16-bit, blender is internally all 32-bit, so loaded textures don’t have to be 16-bit, they can be whatever blender can load. Similarly the output file will be 32-bit without any of the quality drop caused by displaying it on a 16-bit screen.

Thanks for that Phlip, I had trouble separating two problems.
I’m having a problem with tga images, they appear left shifted in blender preview window, JPGs are o.k & much smaller file size - compressed or not. But that’s getting off topic.
:slight_smile:
Brian

thanks Emadigon I’ll check it out

To Recoil,
Press F12 to render,
Press F3 to save the rendered image.

http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v117/bmcnicho/SaveImage.jpg

Sorry folks it’s off topic but if it helps someone :smiley:

Brian

I’m having the same crashing problem when it comes to rendering, and the DLL fix seems to only be available for the WinXP drivers (at least, I can’t find the file or anything similar). Is downgrading to 3.9 the only solution for Win98SE users?

My blender is all grey. menus and main picture only appear when i put the cursor on top, please help!

what os?
video card?
video card drivers?

have you tried multiple color depths, and updating your drivers?

if you have a recent higher end card, make sure antialiasing isn’t turned on

[/quote]
i get this problem too.
It dident happen when i dident have the ATI card.

If you have an ATI card, and blender looks strange, read on!

Symptoms-
The text in blender is impossible to read (too small or fuzzy)
The buttons window jiggles when you move your cursor
Objects leave residual trails in the 3d window
ADDED: When you open a menu, (like the choice of renderer menu) and then leave it the menu remains diplayed until your cursor leaves the button’s window

What you need to do to fix it-

1. Go into the display properties window (right click your desktop and select ‘Properties’
  2. Go to the ‘Settings’ tab and click the button labled ‘Advanced’
  3. Go to the tab labeled ‘3d’
  4. There should be two radio buttons, ‘Direct3D’, and ‘OpenGL’. Click the OpenGL button
  5. Put a check in the box labled ‘Use custom settings’, and click the ‘Use custom settings button’
  6. Find your ‘Smoothvison’ settings in there, and make sure it is set to ‘Application Preference’.

Et Voila! Restart and your problem should be fixed!

d_m

EDITS:
Tuesday, 17 August- Added one more symptom.

I don’t know if this is the same problem as running slow, but I just got a AMD 2800+ with 256RAM that runs slower than my 700mHz 64RAM Intel, but only in blender. The specific weird thing is, whenever I pull up a menu, it has to build up. I put my cursor on the view menu, and it adds one option at a time, building up. Suggestions?

What Graphics card?

d_m

Some kind of ATI Radeon.

Go to ATI’s site, and make like your updating your drivers, then at the bottom of the page, where you pick which version of the drivers, scroll down and click ‘Previous Versions’. Download Catylyst V. 3.9. That should help.

d_m