Solutions to common problems

how do I open a file in blender I have a drawing I want to work on I am using a mac osx

@ruben: first of all determine what side you view your picture from. Front or right? Adjust view with “Numpad 1/3”. Then go to “view” - > “background image”, then a popup pops up (what else do popups do :p) , click “use” on it and then load the image. It sometimes takes a bit to appear. You can then adjust it by size, position and intensity.
Then split your view port in half by clicking under the top menu when the biderectional arrow appears and select “split view”. You then have 2 viewports and can select front view (Num 1) on one and right view (Num 3) on the other. that will give you a good position to start from!

Cheers!

i can’t find the Mesh tools in my blender… somehow is there a way to get it? or patching up my blender? to get mesh tools?

ok… i get it now… after minutes and hours of experimenting the UI, I finally got it!

How do I let the background fade? (like in the hamster picture from rozmiarek)

No one have been reading this for over a month! Why is it still sticky?

Edit: Wrong answer, thought you meant “background image”…

Hi, all-
I just began using blender and I’m trying to catch up on a ten year old.
I’ve been around the web finding 3Ds for him to sink his teeth into and some importing issues have come up. I haven’t researched this so I’m asking you…
obviously .max is too new and i’m assuming that .3dxml is too old. Iwas wondering if there were any workarounds on the horizon?
also I’ve had problems with some files importing just as a set of “dots” -verticies?
what do I do with them? is that data loss?

I have a problem importing .vrmls out of UCSF Chimera on Mac OSX, actually I haven’t gotten anything from Chimera to import on Blender without locking up Python.
but its an old system-400MH G3 iMac 10.3.9, Py2.3, gcc 3.3

now for my wish list:
Python QTVR objects!!!
PDB vector extractor!!!

thanks guys - wha!

Hi,
I’ve been an eternal Blender newbie (for the last 10 years). For me (and for 90% normal people) it’s impossible to float above newbie level because of the counterintuitive GUI blablabla… But I’m always trying… Anyway, I’m here not to start a flame war, but because I have a problem.

I’m now using version 2.49, I’ve started a simple scene (just the initial cube), then I just chose “render” menu, and then “render settings”, on the lower left part of the screen it lets you choose where you want the render output. I changed it from “render window” to “full screen”, and the render went ok. BUT the problem now is that blender chose to twist my “windows/panels” and now I CAN’T go back to the previous arrangement. I can’t exit this kind of “full screen mode”.

All the screen is a panel, and even the rest of the border panels seem visible, if I try to drag them (the arrow appears) I can’t move them. I don’t know how to “Reset my panels” to a pristine state…
The problem is that as I saved the scene after having changed the render setting, if I reload the .blend file, the infterface is already “unusable” and “unmodifiable”

I haven’t been able to find this question in the forums, even having searched, so I hope the solution is kind of easy…

Greetings.

To me that sounds like you either have to load one of the preconfigured workspaces from the dropdown on top of the screen, or right-click somewhere on the main window’s frame on the right or left side where that arrow appears an split that viewport and then choose the right items from the little dropdown on the left what to display in the split off sections. Maybe that helps :slight_smile:

There’s no drowpdown on top of the screen… Look at these two screenshots of the usable and unusable blender I get…

http://friguron.dyndns.org/misc/pristine_blender.png
http://friguron.dyndns.org/misc/unusable_blender.png

On the first screenshot, THAT’s the option I set, “full screen”. Once I render the scene using F12, then blender becomes “unusable” for me…

Right button does NOTHING anywhere… The most I get is “panel header placement” menú, TOP/BOTTOM/NOTHING, kind of useless as far as I understand…

I know that dragging window borders I can model my own interface, but absolutely no dragging is possible in the scene I saved… Everything seems position-locked…

@friguron
Shift-Space or Ctrl-Up/Down arrow to switch between fullscreen or windowed mode.

I’ll say a polite thank you (to jawra), for letting me out from my frustrating/infuriating state…

Thanks.

As I was following the tutorials on the website, I got to the “Vase Modeling” tutorial. I have the latest Blender and I am supposed to “Extrude” and selected “Region” but when I get to the “extrusion” menu, there isn’t a “Region” selection. And then a few steps down from that, I am supposed to go under “Mesh” and press the “Sub-Surf” button but I do not see a “Sub-Surf” button and I have looked everywhere

Hey! Press “e” to extrude,x no menues in Blender :wink: and then you get that menu where your mouse points. Subsurf can be found under “modifiers” in the bottom. Just look for those, easy to find :slight_smile:

Hello,

I have a really frustrating problem, when I duplicate my player model, armature, and camera all at the same time (they are all selected at once) and then save the file, close blender, and then re-open it, the duplicate is there but the original is gone! I can’t figure out how to have the original stay there as well as the duplicate. I know this is a noobish problem…

Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Chris

I have sort of come up with a solution - append it into a new file and then append that back into the blend. It works, but I am still wondering why that happened…

Chris

I’m having issues saving files. I had an older version of Blender that I was running, so I thought it might just be out of date and something is conflicting with my current system (Windows Vista). So last night I updated my program to the most recent version, “recovered last session” to bring up the work I wanted saved, and saved it. It worked just fine. However I go back to it tonight to work on it more, get to a point where I want to save it and it wont let me save any more. It says “failed to write blend file: Unable to open” If I try to save directly over my old file it says “unable to make version back up” then immediately after that, “failed to write blend file: Unable to open.” After that it takes me back to my work in progress. Really starting to frustrate me, I am not sure what to do, I have even back tracked all the way out, and gone to the file from the save menu, and it doesn’t work. I am at a loss now as to what to do.

Maybe you’ve ejected your Hard Disk? Or replaced the file in an other way? Renamed the map/file?

Greetz, ME!!!

hey guys,
I was just following that great tut of making a tree in blender.
Now the following prob…
if i enter sculpt mode, i get an error :frowning:
blender crashes !! :’(
i dont know if this helps but this is what i see:

AppName: blender.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: atioglxx.dll
ModVer: 6.14.10.7873 Offset: 0046b200

And the normal screen if something dont work on windows.
What am i doing wrong?
and my blender version is now 2.49a and python 2.6.2

help me please! :frowning:

kind regards, Bram