Solved: Build problem...

I’ve been compiling blender trunk and also the 2.5 branch successfully, (in ubuntu 8.10 64bit)

but recently it gets right to the end of the build process and then gives me the following error when linking blender…

Linking program ==> ‘blender’
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [/home/michael/svn-2.5/blender2.5/build/linux2/bin/blender] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

It’s weird that it happened on both trunk and 2.5 at the same time…

Is this a new dependency?

It happened on the same day that ubuntu upgraded the nvidia drivers in the repositories to 180.11 … could that have fritzed it?

Hmm, check that you have libGL.so somewhere it can be found. It shouldn’t be a new thing though.

It happened on the same day that ubuntu upgraded the nvidia drivers in the repositories to 180.11 … could that have fritzed it?

Yes, if you updated your drivers and failed to run ldconfig before compiling blender or hadn’t replaced the loaded kernel module with the new one or forgot to update the glx-dev packages or posted a support question in the news & discussion section :stuck_out_tongue:

i don’t know the answer to the problem, but i just wanted to say from my experience with ubuntu (been using it since 6.06), the updates usually break the system (especially graphics updates which used to frequently break X)… somebody can build a .deb package and upload it in one day and night…

Fedora is better in that any package has to be tested for at least a week before it’s committed.
That said, i still use ubuntu for its hardware support and ease of use… but i don’t update anything unless it’s really necessary (when i have a problem that can’t be solved otherwise)…

good luck

for me worked: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.180.29 /usr/lib/libGL.so
(the name libGL.so.180.29 may not be the same, depending on your vresion)

vico

Hey, Thanks for the help everyone!
ldconfig didn’t work, the following did though!

quote=vico;1350950]for me worked: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.180.29 /usr/lib/libGL.so
(the name libGL.so.180.29 may not be the same, depending on your vresion)

vico[/quote]