[Solved] Eevee bounding box fog

I am new to Eevee and probably making some stupid mistake. When I render my character in Cycles she looks fine, but in Eevee her bounding box is filled with white fog. What am I missing?

Several things…

1. IMO your cube is too slender front to back…you need to give the fog some room…if you wish to use this cube…then you will need to change the beginning and depth of fog in Volumetrics…down to say 0.1>.5 say… the default is 0.1>100 Meters…That may do it…but
  2. Change the density as well as emissive strength…
    and you can add a Noise texture to add wisp/holes etc in your fog…
    Using Eevee…make sure to turn off…or turn down the Bloom and change the emissive strength or it will blow out the image

I don’t see ANY fog in your cycles render…so something is wrong there…the Eevee view is correct… just needs to be tweaked!

Sorry, I was unclear. The scene just consists of the character, the camera, one sun light and a monocromatic background. It is not supposed to be any fog, so the cycles render is the correct one. It is Eevee that adds the fog all by itself.

My computer is from 2015, perhaps it is a hardware problem.

System Information
Operating system: Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 64 Bits
Graphics card: Quadro K2200/PCIe/SSE2 NVIDIA Corporation 4.5.0 NVIDIA 385.54

Blender Version
Broken: version: 2.83.3, branch: master, commit date: 2020-07-22 06:01, hash: rB353e5bd7493e
Worked: (newest version of Blender that worked as expected)

So you didn’t want fog??
There is nothing I know of that will add fog just by switching to EeVee and using a Bounding Box…

I correct that…if you add Volume to the object shader it will add fog in the Bounding Box. and connect things in the shader editor,…But it HAS to be manually selected…it won’t do it by itself…unless it was also in Cycles ( by accident) then it will show in EeVee…and be blown out from either Bloom or Emissive

Thank you, that was it. The character was imported from Daz Studio, and in order to replicate some Iray skin materials some volumetric nodes may be used. I reimported the character with no volumetrics options, and now she looks ok both in Eevee and Cycles.
no-haze

1 Like

Glad to see you figured it out!

Thomas it’s me Alessandro. This is a documented eevee limitation. More precisely eevee supports volumes only for the bounding box and only one volume per object. This is why the iray volumetric skin only works with cycles. I thought we already was clear on that.

Please feel free to ask at diffeomorphic for any doubt you have on materials I may be able to help.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/eevee/limitations.html
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/eevee/materials/nodes_support.html

Volume Objects: Object volume shaders will affect the whole bounding box of the object. The shape of the volume must be adjusted using procedural texturing inside the shader.