[SOLVED] Graduated influence of weight painting ignored by bone

I’d like the graduated weight painting in the picture attached to manifest appropriately when I move the bone in pose mode. However, the other picture shows that the bone interprets the weight painting as ‘all-or-nothing’, either 0% or 100% weight painting data. I’ve attached the file where I’m able to reproduce the problem.

I’m using Blender 2.92. Thanks for your time :slight_smile:

Problem weight paint.blend (1.2 MB)

You need more than one bone. Bone weights are a relationship between multiple bones, not something that makes any sense in the presence of a single bone.

1 Like

I see, thanks.

The example I posted is obviously a demo in which I was able to reproduce the problem.

In the original project, I want a secondary set of bone(s) to step in to tweak a piece of clothing already controlled by a primary rig. Shape keys aren’t going to cut it in this instance. I was able to find a work around by adding an armature modifier to the mesh for each single-bone armature and assigning the vertex group for each additional bone to the modifier.

Seems like it can’t normalize properly (if the other vertex group has no vertices assigned to it).
In this simplified case you can fill the other vertex group using these modifiers (I guess?):

If it can be applied to your practical case is a different question though.

Okay great, I pieced together enough information from both your posts (bandages and StrayBillie) to realise that I need to have a root bone to which a secondary bone is relative (same armature). With the root bone’s vertex group dialled to 100% influence for all vertices in the mesh, the secondary bone was able to induce the graduated influence I was after in my original post.

Case closed! Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

PS: I’ve never used the vertex weight modifier. Looks interesting, though. Will have to have a play at some point.