[SOLVED] Help with fixing my dremel?

Hi gaiz!
as you can tell from the title, I have a problem with my dremel. When I turn it on, the motor inside works normally (I can feel it). However, the most important part of the dremel (purpose wise), the tip, doesn’t. How do I fix it?

Dremel? the rotary tool?
The motor is pressed on(I believe) the same shaft as is the collet so my best guess is the armature is spinning on the shaft.
You feel it? You do not see the cooling fins spin?
If the armature is in fact spinning and not the shaft then you got to take it apart and see if you can fix it somehow. I took mine apart many years ago after I dropped it. It had a vibration. Ive taken apart many tools I have gotten from yard sales and my skill saws.
Yours have a collet lock button to change the bit? Its not stuck on is it?

Maybe the shaft lock (for changing tips) is stuck. They do that sometimes when dust gets down in there.

I don’t have the right screwdrivers currently, but the dremel does, in fact, look a bit dirty. I have no idea what the cooling fins are, so I can’t answer that question :stuck_out_tongue:
once I get the tools, should I just clean it? or should I add a little bit of oil (or similar material) for easier rotation?

Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but you’ll want to clean all the dust and dirt out of it before lubricating, otherwise the dirt will act like sandpaper on it. If it’s an older model you can request a manual from their site: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/customerservice/ManualsAndLiterature/Pages/default.aspx
They’ll send you one in about 3 weeks. In the meantime, after cleaning the dirt, if you lube it yourself, be sure to use a light oil like gun-oil or something and use it very sparingly. The more you use, the more it’ll attract dirt.

Probably stripped the gears. Dremels don’t last long unless you are VERY careful with them. I have gone through a few. The next one I buy will be the 1/4" and not the 1/8". Just take it apart. and check to see if maybe you slipped a gear. That could be easily fixed. If there is something you can fix, it will be evident. If you’re not confident you can put it all back together, just take a picture of the parts how they are before you move any.

thanks for the help guys! I will post an update as soon as I get to fix it. And thanks for the link, too! I have 2 manual type papers that came with the dremel but they don’t provide the information needed for fixing it

Dremal tools do not have gears. Mine is 15 years old and works like a charm. I dropped it about 14 years ago and took it apart put it back together no problem. I use it for work, I sharpen my industrial band saw blade and every thing with it. If you are destroying them you are abusing them.

ok, I FINALLY got the tools (-_-)
It looks like the rubbery thing that connects the motor to the top spinny thing is worn out. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

ok, I found out that it’s called a clutch. I found one for around $6 on ebay. However, I don’t know if it will fit. Do all of the models require the same size?