[Solved]RenderToTexture reflection, RT Reflections

I set up reflections using the RenderToTexture.py file from the Blender Tutorials site. It works but isn’t near accurate. Is there any way to set the reflection camera to use the dome cubemap settings to render a cubemap instead for reflections? I took a look at Martinsh’s realtime cubemap reflection file and noticed he used multiple cameras to render a cubemap, which seems expensive and I haven’t been able to mix it with other textures or colors.

You can use a single camera and just rotate it for 90° a couple of times to capture all 6 sides.
Here is an example. I forgot the original author, sorry.

CarPaint.blend (2.72 MB)

Wow! Thank you, very nice file, will study it.

Ice Man, you have made my day. I did a quick dirty mod to your file and added normal map and texturing into the node setup, also included two textures to showcase it. I’ll keep working on the file to improve the blend and distortions. Here is the modded file.

Added normal map based distortion for the reflection at the beginning of the node setup.

No problem, glad I could help :wink:
Thank you for sharing the modified file.

Oh one question, what kind of performace are you getting with the realtime reflection? Is it noticeable?

145fps with “Use framerate” off
60 fps with “Use framerate” on
This is on a low end Geforce 630 GT.

I’ll still have to do a stress test with multiple reflections to give a more accurate answer. I also noticed that my reflection distortions isn’t accurate with the normal map shape. I’ll still tweak that at a later time.

You did a fantastic job with this file, it can be applied in many ways. With the normal map and distortions now it can also by tweaked to create flowing magma, rivers and wet surfaces like roads etc.

Lol ok just saw in the other thread where you told me that you didn’t create the original file. :P, i’ll have to find out and update the readme in the modded file.

Yea I mentioned it in my first post: “I forgot the original author, sorry”, but no problem :slight_smile:

Ok did a stress test with 8 Spheres, the fps drops down to 40fps, so the technique is expensive, however maybe there is a way to disable the reflection/switch material based on camera view and rays.

Ok did a stress test with 8 Spheres, the fps drops down to 40fps, so the technique is expensive, however maybe there is a way to disable the reflection/switch material based on camera view and rays.

Author of this specific file is me.
The method was made by HG1(all the node setup and rendering script) so most of credit still goes to him;)

To optimise, you could lower the texsize variable depending on the distance of the object. This way objects further away would have a lower resolution reflection, increasing performance, but closer objects would still look good.

I am so sorry it posted like three times.