Solved sort of! How do I stop from painting through the back of a polygon in Texture Paint

I have an object, in this case a tongue. The normals are facing correctly so I should only see the outside of the mesh. But in Texture Paint mode it paints right through the mesh. Is there a setting to prevent this from happening? I can even paint on the back side of the mesh. I tried turning off Backface Culling but it did nothing so I haven’t a clue.

Thanks

In your brush settings drop-down in the header, turn on Front Faces only

1 Like

Hi josephhansen,
I don’t see it in the Brush dropdown

It might be in Stroke, it’s in one of them

1 Like

Hi josephhansen,

I looked at all the dropdowns and opened all the side panels for stroke and other things. Opened them all. I couldn’t find anything resembling Front Faces Only. I googled it also and got nowhere. I was going to do a little screenshot video but decided to simply tell you I spent at least five minutes looking at everything in the Texture Paint Window and panels.

Thanks for trying. Maybe I am looking too hard.

What about your UV maps, maybe they are overlapping?

Hi moonbots,

Thanks for the reply. No overlapping UVs on the mesh anywhere. Triple checked.

Could you please share your file? Pack the image and share only the tongue
or maybe you’ve enabled the symmetry? top right of 3D view

I think that this is what @joseph is referring to:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/sculpt_paint/texture_paint/tool_settings/options.html#options

backface_occlude

1 Like

a59303 Yes that is what he meant probably but it did not make a difference whether checked or unchecked. Thanks a59303.

moonbots, turning off Symmetry did work. I guess for now that is what I will do. And, for future reference, how does one share a file? Do it through a private message? Swap emails?

I will go with turning off symmetry for now. Thanks for that tip. Thanks to all for chipping in here.

In order to share a file, you just upload it like an image. It has to be under 5mb I think. Generally people simplify the file so its small, and, when necessary, pack the images.

1 Like

or use a platform like workupload