Solved. Why cant I paint the mesh?

I was able to start painting, the it just stopped and wont let me paint at all.

I closed blender and tried again, same thing.

Please se the picture. I tried to paint each bone without luck?

Solved: Oh thats really funny! I just selected the boots mesh right after the legs mesh and started paint the top of one boot. I guess blender thought there was still an armature to attach it too.

But when I selected another bone in the boot/foot to paint, blender found the error. There was no armature mod for the boots mesh. I wonder where it put all the first painting info for the top of boot?

LOL.

Attachments

you can paint a mesh regardless of it having an armature or not. when you paint a mesh, you create a new vertex group. the vertex you paint are assigned to that group with different influences. You can also do this manually in editmode if you want to, but it is not very practical most of the time.
So see if your mesh that doesn’t have an armature has one or two vertex groups. that’s where the info went.

this is usefull for instance when painting hair on a character or grass on a plane. or to filter out parts of shapekeys (like left and right side)

this is usefull for instance when painting hair on a character or grass on a plane. or to filter out parts of shapekeys (like left and right side)

I understand vertex painting, but are you saying the bones painting without bones also created some groups?

And how do you use that to paint grass or hair? thanks very much…

You just need to create a vertex group in the Links and Materials panel (which you now can do in Object Mode) And Ctrl-Tab (if in Object Mode) to get into Weight Paint and paint away …

To make the static particles stick to the weight painted vertex group you just need to type in the name of your painted vertex group in the “VGroup:” field at the bottom of the Particles panel … And I’m sure even with the particle rewrite there is an option for this … And yes the higher the weight value the more intense/longer your static particles will be … And you can do that in realtime if your computer can handle it .

Realtime? meaning the GE? Particles in the GE?

He means in the viewport.

I doubt you fully understand vertex painting if you don’t know about vertex groups. Or how to use that on things like hair or shapekeys.

You can see the entire vertex paint thing as a “tweaking mode” for vertex groups you create (or have an armature create them for you if you use it with an armature and choose the name groups blabla option)

Bones have nothing to do with creating vertex groups, they use them to see how to deform a mesh, so the armature modifier can create groups for you. You could do this manually all the same. And more.