[solved] yafray problem

Hello everyone,
I’m working on a scene of a bedroom. Until now I have managed to do a render which does not look like I’d expect…
Could you please tell me what to change to improve it? I dont quite understand why I cannot get enough shadow in corner areas.

I have an area light and a HDR image for lightning, Blender 2.42a and Yafray 0.0.9

I have attached my yafray setup and the render.

Please help me:)

meosoft

Attachments

where is your lightsource ?

I like the way the walls and corner are lit. are you asking to get more light coming in through the window ? or to be brighter in the room ???

Add some thickness to the walls the photon sampling is sampling photons out side and rendering the light in side. (I think:rolleyes:)

the light source is HDR mapped as the world texture and area light is like this:

Attachments

thank you very much :slight_smile: i’ll try that and then send the render…

another question: Is it possible that on Windows took the render over 2 hours while on linux(Ubuntu edgy x86_64 with yafray build with optimizations) the same render took 23 minutes???

You should move your area lamp closer to the window, just behind it, with the same size. You can check on the pdf on http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Alejandro_Conty.450.0.html
it may be useful for indoor lightning.

Now I did some editing…
I added a cube surrounding the room
Raydepth: 5
Depth: 4
ShadQ: 0.90
Prec: 10
EmitPwr: 3
GIPwr: 1
Count: 500 000
Radiu: 1.5
Tune Photons: off

the problematic lightning is reduced but not gone…

Attachments

Hey Meo,

where did you get the optimized Yafray build for Ubuntu ?

Just make some wooden borders for those corners of yours.

I real house do have those borders if you look carefully. A wall doesn’t just meet the floor like that, the edge where the wall and the floor meet - you don’t see it because there is a border to cover up.

That’ll fix your problem I think :slight_smile:

• Practically but not theoretically.

By the way, do check that all your ways don’t have gaps in them. So zoom in to double check.

I believe you have you compile it.

I did mine today :slight_smile:

Yes I compiled it with -march=athlon64 and it is much faster than windows (15 mins linux, 45 win:cool:) but does this optimisation include use of sse3? what other optimisations should i use for further speed ups?

Another thing is that yafray refuses to render my textures (i created the .blend on win) but blender internal renders with textures and yafray does not, any suggestions on this?:confused:

Yes I compiled it with -march=athlon64 and it is much faster than windows (15 mins linux, 45 win:cool:) but does this optimisation include use of sse3? what other optimisations should i use for further speed ups?

Another thing is that yafray refuses to render my textures (i created the .blend on win) but blender internal renders with textures and yafray does not, any suggestions on this?:confused:

There is an improved version of that document:
http://wiki.yafray.org/bin/view.pl/UserDoc/YafRayLighting

hello, thanks for the document, it helped much, I have seen it before but after your post I actually read it… :slight_smile:

The problem was probably too big radius
so I set it to 0.7 and it looks good

I would like your opinions on what more should I do for the scene to look even better :slight_smile:

Attachments

I would like your opinions on what more should I do for the scene to look even better

Look for lighting desing resources for instance:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=es&hs=iQW&client=opera&rls=en&sa=N&resnum=0&q=lighting%20design&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=wi

Another thing is that yafray refuses to render my textures (i created the .blend on win) but blender internal renders with textures and yafray does not, any suggestions on this?

Q01: Why do my textures not work?
A: You may have chosen an unsupported image format. YafRay only supports a limited set of texture formats, which are Targa (.tga), Jpeg (.jpg), Radiance (.hdr/.pic) and OpenEXR (.exr).

Take into account that Blender packed textures without a valid path won’t work as well, and that you will need to unpack them first.

Alvarus.

1. thanks for the tip on lighting :slight_smile:

2. I did chose a good file format because it renders well on windows, all textures are there. The trouble could be the file paths, but again in material preview the textures are visible and if I render the same scene with blender internal renderer, textures are rendered, so I dont know…maybe just that yafray cannot find them from where it is executed, I dont know linux that well but I will keep on trying :slight_smile:

Well… At least I learned why my textures haven’t been working in YafRay! :smiley: