Some Basic Blender Questions

Hi everyone, I’ve recently started to use Blender, ans so far I’ve created this: http://andydaroo.deviantart.com/gallery/33396389 (various pictures from different angles). I’m quite happy with it so far, but I really want to improve it and create an ambitious animation, and I think that this is the best program for it. I have some basic questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer them :slight_smile:

-So far I’ve used some online tutorials, but would either of these books be useful? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blender-Foundations-Essential-Guide-Learning/dp/0240814304/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315238688&sr=1-1

I’m currently using Blender 2.49, so I don’t know if they are relevant. Is there a huge difference (in interface, etc)?

-When creating characters or scenes, am I limited to the grid or do I have a near-infinite amount of space to use? How should characters be proportioned in relation to the grid?

-When the camera is positioned too far away from an object, the object disapears. how can I prevent this?

-Is it possible to transfer a mesh from one Blender file to another (‘copy and paste’)?

-How difficult is it to create movement and camera work compared to making a character?

-Is this the most active Blender community?

Thank you for any help, it’s appreciated! I know it’s a lot to ask, but I really want to learn how to use Blender effectively! :slight_smile:

1. Most people prefer online tutorials, since the net is flooded with them.
    But is’t up to you. :wink:

2. There is i huge Interface change from 2.5 on till 2.6, but it’s possible to stll follow tutorials on a different interface. :eyebrowlift:

3. I wouln’t call it near-infinite, there is a large amount of space, for example you can scroll out of the scene until the whole scene is on the tip of the mouse cursor :eek:

4. Shift + F1

5. Watch a Few of these and find out, but it deppends on the person mostly.:RocknRoll:

6. As far as i know, Yes this community is active at some time.

Thanks a lot, that’s very helpful :slight_smile:

This is the camera’s clipping distance. I’m going to assume that you’re talking about the 3D View’s camera and not the actual camera objects. In 2.4x, you adjust the 3D View camera’s clipping distance from View->View Properties (look for Clip Start and Clip End). For the camera object, it’s in the Editing Buttons (F9) when you have the camera selected.

No problem, The dissapearing object could be a number of factors try these

1. N > Display > Only render
  2. Turn on Enviroment lighting on to 0.4
  3. Check your camera’s Object Data

Or you just have a big scene :p.

Some sites you will find helpfull, helped me allot.

CG-Cookie
Blender Cycles
Blender-Education
BlenderGuru