Some basic questions about Game character creation

Hi

I have recently started working with blender again after about 2½ years of working with maya.The last version
of Blender i worked with was 2.49b i think. Alot of stuff is new and i have also forgotten alot.
I am working on my first game and have finished modelling the main character and have a few questions I
hope you guys can help me out with.
The game is being build in unity and is intended for iPhone.

So now that i finished modeling the character i need to check if it is symmetrical and if not make it so.
Is there any build in function in blender that checks symmetry? I havent been able to find it, in maya
i had to use a script to check it.

1.Is the best way to make the char symmetrical to cut it in half duplicate/mirror/and join verts if
its very low poly?
I rember using a mirror function for this before back in the day but havent found it again, or havent understood how it works yet like i remember it.

1. Before skinning the character i havent found out how to freeze transformations and delete all history.

2. And one final question how do i snap the pivot of a mesh to a vert in the mesh (the maya equivalend of d/v), havent been able to find that one out either?

Also, does anyone have a link to a checklist for making game chars in blender where all the important steps are explained? It would be greatly appreciated.

Almost. Cut out one half then add/apply mirror modifier :slight_smile:

1. Before skinning the character i havent found out how to freeze transformations and delete all history.

Not sure I understand this one.

1. And one final question how do i snap the pivot of a mesh to a vert in the mesh (the maya equivalend of d/v), havent been able to find that one out either?

In Edit mode select vert(s), Shift+S -> Cursor to Selected. In Object mode: Object menu -> Transform -> Origin to 3D cursor.

Thx :slight_smile:

What i meant with question number two was to apply object transformation to its data, in maya its called freeze transformation.
I´ts done via the ctrl+a menu, found the anwser in another post. Altho i havent found the remove history function yet so that it dosent cause problems when skinning and rigging wich was important in Maya, maybe its not as important in blender.

The mirror function is a modifier (look for a tab with a wrench). If you turn clipping on, then the vertices will lock to the origin of the axis it is mirroring, so all you have to do to weld them together is start moving them towards the origin. I can’t help you with your other questions.

Thx for the help guys! :slight_smile: