Some Basic Questions for Archviz'ers

Just wondering if you guys generally remodel buildings/scenes in Blender just based off of a floorplan and some reference images or if you import as much of the actual model as you can from other software? I have a lot of Revit models that can be imported as DAE files, but there’s often a little bit ( or a lot) of clean up work needing to be done in terms of normal direction and mesh triangulation. On top of that it’s rare (for me) to ever have a Revit building modelled to the level of detail required for interior renders (e.g. skirtings, door handles, decor items, etc.) and I’m just wondering if I’m going to be doing a bit of work adding this stuff whether it’s actually just easier and cleaner to model the whole thing from scratch?

Secondly, in terms of the decor and furnishings, I have a rather large library of 3D models that I can import, is there a way to import these with materials already applied? Exporting the model as a .dae seems to only then reimport with the base colour image. Exporting the model as an .fbx seems to only import with the base colour and normal. Do I have to actually have every single 3D model as its own .blend file and then use the Append import thingy to bring it in with all the material settings?

Finally, my search seems to suggest the answer is probably no, but is there a way to save out an entire material so that I can just have a library of ready made materials? I can probably get there in a round about way by having a whole blender file of cubes with different materials and then doing that Append import to bring them in, just seems a little tedious.

Many thanks!

1 Like

Import and consider as low poly block outs.
Sanitize & organize: link, append, collect, duplicate, instantiate (?)
Finally, start adding detail as needed.
Consider LOD, texel density… Only work on what’s seen.

Lots of work was/is still easier (?) with pre 2.80 builds using Groups, Layers, Instances, Blender Internal… (? - not sure, cuz I still need to take a big one on with 2.8+)
ie. Importing .obj respects textures and UVs, which makes materials easy to translate - push of a button with an addon.

Fun fact: With majority of architects, directors, investors, producers… it is always more work than what it looks like or is said. So for starters and as safety precaution, add 30% (buffer zone) to the proposed, estimated amount.

Work will always be tedious, that is why reward should be worth it!