Some Cycles Materials 1

(moony) #1

Been working on some material node trees for cycles - materials use only inbuilt procedural textures

Bloom Metal

Galvanised Metal

(moony) #2

Pearl

Iridescent Glass (trying to simulate those metallised glass marbles we used to get as kids)

(moony) #3

Glow Plastic

Polished Haematite (looks black - but has subtle flecks of blue and red)

(moony) #4

Polished Malachite (interesting texture effect using stacked Voronoi textures)

(comeinandburn) #5

these look great! could you post the node setups under each image? I’d love to see more:)

(moony) #6

Yeh - will do - but i’ll have to screen grab and upload them - so not tonight :wink:

I have a few other materials in the works too - car paint, dispersion glass which are both derivations of materials posted by other blender users, but with subtle improvements to the node tree (i’ll credit when I post them) - and materials to simulate a soap bubble, lalique style glass and moonstone (although the last one is proving a little problematic and I may have to wait for volumetrics to be activated).

(moony) #7

Sorry - been away on business. This is the first of the node trees for the above materials. I’ll try and post the rest this weekend. (edit - got carried away and did them all - so here they are in order)

Bloom Metal

Galvanised Metal

(moony) #8

Pearl

Iridescent Glass

(moony) #9

Glow Plastic (I think the layer weight and add nodes to the bottom left are spurious leftovers from when I was developing this - you can probably do without them - especially the add one since its not connected to anything ;))

Haematite

(moony) #10

Malachite

(moony) #11

New one. A slightly better glass than the default shader. Adds a glossy shader with fresnel falloff to give more prominent reflections at oblique viewing angles (like real glass). Particularly evident in the sphere.

(RickyBlender) #12

looking nice

but can you upload some sample files

thanks

(moony) #13

Nope - that’s what the node trees are for. :evilgrin:

(mmoore500) #14

Thanks Moony for posting the node trees. Anyone else having trouble getting similar results with the node groups posted? I tried both the galvanized and bloom metal and wasn’t able to get a nice looking material.

(moony) #15

How are you lighting your scene? The previews I posted all used a HDRI environment map.

Post an image of your results, I may be able to suggest what is going wrong.

(mmoore500) #16

I’ll post a couple results tomorrow. Dang work getting in the way of my Blender time.

(mmoore500) #17

Moony, I tried a few different lighting samples, some using emissions and HDRI environments. I did some more looking and found some better HDRI’s, but that didn’t fix the problem. I detached the glossy reflection nodes from the divide node and just input my own reflection values. I also detached the Voronoi scale and input a value in the field and I’m able to get much better results. Maybe an issue with the build I’m using from Graphicall. Either way, I think I’ve gotten pretty good results at this point. And I learned a lot looking at your node setups. Thanks very much.

(moony) #18

No probs - there must be many ways to achieve similar results, and there is nothing to say mine are the best/most accurate way. Perhaps post an example of your results and node trees - see how they compare.

(daniel glenn) #19

@Moony - I love the perl version - looks perfect - thx for the node setup!

have a nice day

(Sedrick) #20

I loved the materials!! haha that Soap Bubble is awesome! Good work dude, congratz =]