Some Game Engine Questions

Hi! I have a new plan in mind as I am patiently awaiting the next release of Blender(I desperately want to make a new game without resorting to a rigamarole of C++ and Max together; I hardly even know C++).

I want to try and use Max and Blender now in synergy, i.e. I use Max for FMV’s(high-poly/subsurface) and Blender for the game engine, low-poly characters.

My plan is to have a poly plane in Blender with a videotexture on it play something at a cue before the game begins, like in an old PSone game, where video plays, then you get into the game.

How do you time it? Also, is there any way I can measure in Blender units so the Max AVI doesn’t stretch and get all distorted?

More questions: Also, when is Blender V.2.40 coming out? Will it have any significant improvements to the game engine, especially where gravity is concerned, or be backwards compatible? I don’t want to start a project in the current version(low-poly character), then have the new version come out and not even be able to use it once installed for lack of compatibility. Will there be any differences between this one’s and V.2.40’s UVW mapping?

Aaaarrrgghh I am getting so desperate to make a game, and I haven’t used Blender in about a month and a half now. Thanks in advance if you take the time to read this.

You need the fmv script, because animated textures don’t work well with Blender.

you should use 3d max with dark basic…thats what i do!

its a very simple language…if you do not want to program though, make a team and they’ll do it…if u want to ill join…matters what game gonna be though…and ur gonna have to make everything and ill program whole thing…

Actually for the most part all models are backwards compatible. They’re rewriting the animation system for blender and all animations will also be made backwards compatible as well I believe.

Hmm, I wouldn’t worry so much about models being backwards compatible or not. In many cases it would be. Check out 2.25 and the current version now. The models can be used in either version. It’s just that some games made in the Blender GE (logic, python) that aren’t backwards compatible.

So model away!

Jason Lin

Perhapse its because I enjoy beta testing so much,
that in some of my testing setups, after a good few
versions of blender, resaved at different stages, some
of my objects now have a collision area that has
shifted away from the actual polygon position. Also
some of the meshes have become uneditable.
What caused it, Im not sure but as I allways work with
copies its not to much of a problem.
But worth remembering.

Bogey.

eQuilibrium, thanks for your offer. Right now I have an idea forming in mind, but I don’t know whether to do the modelling and animation work in Max and then export to DarkBASIC, or just go ahead and do the game entirely in Blender for ease of use for its game engine.
What’s your opinion for which one I should go with?

max to dark basic…dunno if u need to export though… :o i think just the options that are given you can use to export…to dark basic…

blender aint so good for game making if u want good quality…game engine is old…hard to use also with camera moving and over all advanced character animations and special f/x…are out dated to what max is capable of

at the moment im doing 3d max and dark basic…i have a dev team…

scenery modeler…animator, programmer…storyline director…if u wanna join…we talk over our ideas for game…(mmorpg)

…also…i dunno if theres another plugin to export from 3d max to dark basic…(like what to export to .x??)

Have you actually looked at some of the screenshots of games that people are making in blender lately? :o Blender doesn’t force you to make good quality games, and as a result most games made by newbies aren’t very good quality, but you can make good quality games in blender. [!]

A good indication of how experienced a person is in blender is the date they joined the Elysiun forums (no matter when you started using blender, you only start getting real experience after you start using Elysiun).

Looking at your profile, I see you joined a little over a month ago. So be patient, because just like any game engine all it takes is experience & perseverance (and ofcourse good imagination). :slight_smile:

My point is don’t devalue blender’s capabilities until you’re experienced enough to know what it can do.

Keith. 8)

NOte:

determining how much a person knows of blender because he joined forum …isnt possible its ludacris…

i played soccer since 4yrs old and if i join soccer site yesterday that makes me a noob of soccer??

to make it frank…ur an idiot…

and i can use paint to make something look good if i wanted to…but its not easy…

i can use blender to make a nice application…it will take longer then 3d max…so i wont…and its harder then 3d max…and lacks depth…

so before you speak…think

ok gorgan almi?? or keith…(a.k.a idiot who shouldn’t have a right to speak out his opinion)

Personally I won’t use 3DsMax for making games, you need a lot of experience with programming before you can even make something nice.
Ok Blender has a easy game engine, just click, connect and hit P. And because it has this function to create games, people think that using logic bricks is all they need. Yes ofcourse you can only use them, but remember those logic bricks are made for getting you started and create simple things in seconds. But if you want something else, like AI that actually generates his waypoints, network code, configuration for the game, speed increases with culling and so on. You need to use something else then only logic bricks. Python

If you’re new, using blender to create games is the easiest thing to get started into game creation world, using python is the best way to start from beginner and learn the basics of coding, thinking about solving your problems, creating ideas and using your creativity.

Afther that you can switch to something else or stick with blender and help developing or making new features coded with something or use it for fun.

Now saying to use 3DsMax, Maya, Houdini, Lighwave or whatever because it’s easier, well that’s your choice. Why is it easier? because you know how to extrude and in blender you don’t so blender becomes automaticly harder then 3Ds Max?
Anyways, I’ve tried them all, and I know what I’m talking about, so I share my knowledge about learning How To, and I know starting with Maya or Lightwave and not even talking about Houdini, is defently a hard way.
Start simple learn the world of 3D and games, and then look around what else fits your needs.

Personally I won’t use 3DsMax for making games, you need a lot of experience with programming before you can even make something nice.
Ok Blender has a easy game engine, just click, connect and hit P. And because it has this function to create games, people think that using logic bricks is all they need. Yes ofcourse you can only use them, but remember those logic bricks are made for getting you started and create simple things in seconds. But if you want something else, like AI that actually generates his waypoints, network code, configuration for the game, speed increases with culling and so on. You need to use something else then only logic bricks. Python

If you’re new, using blender to create games is the easiest thing to get started into game creation world, using python is the best way to start from beginner and learn the basics of coding, thinking about solving your problems, creating ideas and using your creativity.

Afther that you can switch to something else or stick with blender and help developing or making new features coded with something or use it for fun.

Now saying to use 3DsMax, Maya, Houdini, Lighwave or whatever because it’s easier, well that’s your choice. Why is it easier? because you know how to extrude and in blender you don’t so blender becomes automaticly harder then 3Ds Max?
Anyways, I’ve tried them all, and I know what I’m talking about, so I share my knowledge about learning How To, and I know starting with Maya or Lightwave and not even talking about Houdini, is defently a hard way.
Start simple learn the world of 3D and games, and then look around what else fits your needs.[/quote]

hit e to extrude in blender after hitting b to box what u want selected…(he says that 3d max users dunno how to extrude in blender)

Using Blender is not the same as playing football. I said you don’t start getting good at blender (assumming you’re a newbie to 3d modelling) until you start using Elysiun. Thats the equivilent of saying that you won’t start getting good at football till you go to a professional trainer (and any professional fototballer will tell you thats true).

I accused you of being inexperienced because of your statement that you can’t make professional quality stuff in blender. You took offence at this. But the fact is that you were wrong, you can make professional quality stuff in blender, so your experience speaks for itself. Ofcourse you can also make professional quality stuff in 3DMax, Maya, Lightwave, no one doubts that. But you claimed that you couldn’t in blender, and I was simply correcting you on that statement.

As for your insults & behaviour, I am getting very concerned at the increasing number of new members acting in this way. This has always been a very friendly forum where people repect each other, it’s not here for people to abuse and insult one another. This behaviour is disgraceful and unacceptable.

JD-multi: Hi mate, I would ask you to lock this thread (no further posts allowed) and I suggest you keep a close eye on this character and others like him. This particular character seems to have a history of causing trouble in other forums. Heres just one example https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=471620&highlight=#471620 and another https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=471643&highlight=#471643

Keith. :expressionless:

alright, eQuilibrium…whether you are right or someone else is right, or you think you have been offendend(however I cant seem to find anything offensive in any way in gorgan_almi’s post) or not, that still gives you absolutely no right to start insulting people…Stop acting so childish…doing so will not gain any kind of respect from anyone here, remember that.

As far as Max VS. Blender goes…yes, 3DSMAX has more capabilities right now…but the community has recently exploded with new exploration into the engine, improvements to the engine, new features added to the engine, and it seems to me that even though the Blender Game Engine is somewhat outdated right now, it is closing in fast on the current market standerd…and it is developing faster than any program out there, including 3DSMAX…If you had any experience with making games with Blender, or have seen any kind of content made by some of the pros around here lately than you would realise that a professional game made in blender with self-marketing or even 3rd party marketing(games in stores) is entirely plaussable more and more each day…Most importantly, Blender has one thing that no other development tool will ever have…a community as nurturing, and strong as this one. :slight_smile:

as far as your original question goes Suu999: yea, search the forums for the FMV script…you should be able to find it with the search feature…well, hopefully. %| …It allows you to display actual video files within the game environment if I remember correctly…

Have you actually looked at some of the screenshots of games that people are making in blender lately? :o Blender doesn’t force you to make good quality games, and as a result most games made by newbies aren’t very good quality, but you can make good quality games in blender. [!]

A good indication of how experienced a person is in blender is the date they joined the Elysiun forums (no matter when you started using blender, you only start getting real experience after you start using Elysiun).

Looking at your profile, I see you joined a little over a month ago. So be patient, because just like any game engine all it takes is experience & perseverance (and ofcourse good imagination). :slight_smile:

My point is don’t devalue blender’s capabilities until you’re experienced enough to know what it can do.

Keith. 8)[/quote]

ok here we go again…

notice that you said “a good indication of experience is when they joined forum”…i have experienced enough what to do…you clearly started the flame as anyone would be able to see!..

also compared to real games…like warcraft 3 or… splinter cell or star wars knights of the old republic…

you can not make good games in blender…you will be forced by the engine to make low poly characters…and yadayada…gorgon_almi…dont reply…this thread was dead and you ressurected it…what it takes you that long to make up a come back?

stop fllaming…leave things at where they are…my opinion is blender isnt for high quality games…i hope someone locks this thread…because i know im going to get flamed…

I as in me, I prefer 3d max i think i can make a high quality game with it…

I as in me dont think the same as in blender…that is my opinion…im not changing it…so dont flame!!

dont reply to the post if its a flame…
i used it before and i wasnt satisfied so i moved on…

The classic case of someone thinking top end graphics is the whole component of a ‘good’ game. The true things which make good games, like re-playability and of course… fun are well within the capabilities of Blender’s game engine.

Last I checked, 3ds max doesn’t have a game engine. Therefore you’re using it purely for it’s modelling abilities. Blender can easily match these if you’re going to use an external game engine.

Why are you even on a Blender forum if all you do is bad-mouth it? If you’ve nothing constructive to say don’t bother posting…

attack of teh newbs! :o

I still just want to know why you payed for max when you seem uncapable of making anything nice with blender, admittedly I have shown no work on this forum for ages, what is posted is a bit of newb work, but I find it absurd someone would pay several thousand dollars to practice 3d, when you could have all the tools you needed for free. The program doesn’t make the model, the modeler does, so a talented person could make a great game model in any program, be it maya, max, blender, lightwave, xsi, wings, anim8or, or something ancient (3d studio :D!)

More questions: Also, when is Blender V.2.40 coming out? Will it have any significant improvements to the game engine, especially where gravity is concerned, or be backwards compatible? I don’t want to start a project in the current version(low-poly character), then have the new version come out and not even be able to use it once installed for lack of compatibility. Will there be any differences between this one’s and V.2.40’s UVW mapping?

Aaaarrrgghh I am getting so desperate to make a game, and I haven’t used Blender in about a month and a half now. Thanks in advance if you take the time to read this.

The next release will be huge for Blender in general including the game engine. Several people have put effort into many aspects of the engine recently and it’s going into the next release.

I as in me, I prefer 3d max i think i can make a high quality game with it…

Why on earth are you comparing Blender’s Game Engine to 3DSMax? 3DSMax is for creating art assets only.
You need to start saying DB Pro(The actual game engine your using) not 3DSMax.
You could could create the assets in Blender and export to DB Pro too.

also compared to real games…like warcraft 3 or… splinter cell or star wars knights of the old republic…

you can not make good games in blender…

DB Pro is no Splinter Cell,Warcraft 3, KOTOR, Doom 3 or FarCry engine either. :wink:

Though I’m sure if you had a team of nearly 100 industry pro’s, a few million dollars and several years to produce a game, you could create something comparable with both.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Take me for example :slight_smile: when I started I was horrible at texturing, game logic, animations, and modeling.But practically everyone here gave me some tips, pointed in the right direction, gave suggestions, and was very patient with me.

I have to agree with gorgan_almi, regardless of how much work you do with blender, you can always improve your skills by asking questions and helping others.

he judged me by hwen i joined…

i said this b4 i say it again “i played soccer since age 4…(im 20)if i join a soccer forum today…that makes me a noob of soccer?”

also face add some more to that creepy game…its fun

If you don’t play anybody but the wall for fourteen years then, yeah, you are a noob. And, dude, really, if you have no constructive criticism, then get off the forums, because it really doesn’t help us real noobs, not to mention it takes us off subject. I have a bunch to learn, and tutorials don’t cover everything the human mind desires to know. For instance, my computer (laptop) refuses to acknowledge the “PrtSc” key, so I’m having difficulties in UV mapping.

BTW, I have to agree, flashy graphics does not indicate an awesome game, take FFVII for example. It’s arguably one of the freatest games of all time, but it’s graphics suck mold. Graphics technology is constantly being outmoded, hence, the awesome graphics of FFVII now could be put on a handheld device.

There’s my two bits. I hope I helped someone.