Some game engine related questions from a Blender novice

Hi all

I have for some time now been out looking for a game/3d presentation engine to be use for different kinds of 3D presentation projects. I have worked with Torque (inflexible) and Quest3D (strange). I have tested out many other engines like the GameStudio A6 (I hate those limitation to concave objects), Turntool (expensive) and so on !!

Now I have found Blender. I don’t need a GAME engine but a 3D presentation engine. I work in 3D Studio Max and I have successfully importet 3DS files from Max into Blender and made a scene with the “Walkthrough-template”. The only problem is that when I push the P button to see my final results everything beside the background is white !

When I render everything looks OK !!

As a newbie in Blender I quess I have missed something according to Lightning and textures with the game engine, but I can’t find any answers online. Every references to the game engine (That I have found) is from the older version (2.25 I think!) and not from the newer one 2.34 that I use. And I can’t find any references to a “everything is white” scenario !!??

1: What to do ??

2: Is the Blender Game engine suitable as a 3D presentation system where all you are suppose to do is to walk around and look !!

3: Is there easy ways to make interactivity in the game engine. Like open doors, animated signes, information popups and so on ??

Thanks for every respons !!!

Harald

you must uvmap your polygon object or do vertex color
-select object
-F key
-choose an image in the UV editor

well i’m also trying to do walkthrought/visualization and the blender engine is a bit outdated…
no lightmap, no multitexturing, no shadows, no bump

i’m thinking of buying the lite version of quest3d which have a solid engine but blender is still good cause it’s free and very complete app

Thank you !! I will look into it !!

I have worked with the Quest3D lite engine for a while and it is good, but one day I found this little APP called Turntool where you build everything in Max and just exported everything directly into Turntool. The game part of Turntool was not very good so I kept looking for some app where the conection between modeling tool and game engine where more directly.

I was hoping that the Blender vs Blender Game Engine could do this, but it is as you pointed out not the best engine out there !!

Anyway Thanks for answering !!

BR

Harald

Blender is a great program for simple things like the presentation thing that you were thinking of. As long as you don’t have huge poly meshes (lots of faces and vertices) you should be able to use blender perfectly. Things like opening doors, popups, information signs, are all very possible and easy to do once you get the basics of the blender game engine figured out.

Pooba

The 2.25 gameblender documentation is suited for the current version of Blender - not much has changed since then. Actually the game engine is back for two versions now, because there was a problem with the rights on a library used in (the commercial version) 2.25.

1: What to do ??

As already mentioned you’ve got to uv map the textures (which are images, not materials - materials are used for the physics system).
You can also vertex paint your objects, but that’s not the proper solution.

To light up your scene you’ve got several possibilities:
a) Setting up lights and make the faces sensitive to light (in the paint buttons) - this is dynamic lighting, so take care it can slow down things a lot.
b) Setting up lights and convert the lighting to vertex colors (in the edit buttons ‘vertcol [make]’) - this is static and good for basic lighting.
c) Using Radiosity - similiar approach as using radiosity for rendering - take care that no (or at least not many) extra faces are generated. There’s a good tute on that topic.

2: Is the Blender Game engine suitable as a 3D presentation system where all you are suppose to do is to walk around and look !!

It is more suited for that purpose than for making full-featured games.

3: Is there easy ways to make interactivity in the game engine. Like open doors, animated signes, information popups and so on ??

You can do most of the stuff using logic bricks. Logic bricks are a graphical approach to program behaviours of objects:

Properties are variables bound to an object.

Sensors register certain events (like mouse events, keyboard events, is an object is near to another, collisions, etc.).

Controllers control the signal flow (so that certain actions can be triggered).

Actuators trigger actions (like playing an animation, move an object, change a property, etc.).

Additionally you’ve got the possibility to extend the possibilities of gameblender in using python scripts.