Some hotkey thought

Since when working with blender, you’re meant to put one hand on the keyboard and another holding the mouse, I figure it quite uncomfortable to press keys like alt+something or shift+something. Here is the idea: why must we use these ‘standard’ modifier keys? we can use any key as modifier, e.g. we can use N+M instead of alt+M, or J+M instead of shift+M. this way you don’t have to stretch your hand over the keyboard! Isn’t that a good idea? :wink:

BTW, I think we need a hotkey definition file if we adopt this idea. I mean, maybe people will need some time to try out which combination of hotkeys fits best.

Wouldn’t work - N is already used for properties. Pretty much all the letter keys are used. I agree about alt-m - it’s hard to reach. That one could be changed.

it can work like this: when you press N AND release N, the normal Nkey function is activated. when you press N then press M then release M, N-M function will be activated. Any hotkey is recognised by a release directly following a press of the same key. It’s quite reasonable I think. buttons in windows already do this.

Did I make that clear? :wink:

Alt-m is easy, you just have to do the horns! Little finger Alt, index finger m.

Alt, Ctrl, Shift are easy to remember function keys where as using n-m, n-p etc. would be a nightmare. So i think the confusion aspect would damage the workflow more than any kind of digit-stretching currently required.

Alt-m is easy, you just have to do the horns! Little finger Alt, index finger m.

huh? why is it so hard to reach M? Am i the only one with Alt on the left and right sides of the keyboard? or Ctrl and Shift for that matter.
i personally dont have a problem with any of the modifiers

as to easy remembering, I come to this scheme: for every key, it’s modifiers should be around it (otherwise what’s the advantage?). e.g. for G, we can have F-G, H-G, R-G,T-G,B-G or even maybe D-G if we need. I don’t like V-G, since I am using my left hand to do that. that would be extremely easy to push. We can fancy that the one directly to left to be shift, upper lefe to be alt etc. that way we can convert current hotkeys to this scheme. A or Q would have some problem though.

BTW: I think space can act as an modifier too… since it’s so easy to push…

I think that alot of the laptops only have the ctrl and alt keys on the left so yeah it might be a prob for some

there is a reason i’m pretty sure its something to do with programing.

i’m not a programmer but i’m pretty sure some keys are ment to be ust with others e.i shift and alt. pluss it really isnt hard at all

hot keys in blender make sence!!!
people are even starting to copy them i here.

isn’t sloth one of the 7 deadly sins? :wink: j/k although I think this request is totaly unnecessery.

Besides the confusion problem, there is indeed a valid programming reason.

Modifiers keys are handled in a special way on any systems, as they dont generate keyboard events but their state is easily checked at any moment.

I don’t think we need n-m hotkeys now. But I agree that blender is sort of running out of hotkeys. An other alternative: Mouse button + key. :smiley: The only problem is getting used to it.

I’ve got absolutely no problem with combinations like [ALT]+[M] but I think a good solution for people with small hands would be to make the hotkeys customisable like in other applications or games (with a ‘reset to default’ button, please ;)).

But personally I think like @ner that this is not a necessary feature.

You probably would get better results posting this in the development forums.

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=index

No, you’re not.

On the other hand, not all Blender users use an US keyboard. In most languages with accents, the rightmost alt (aka AltGr, AltCar) is reserved for accent composition + extra chars, and is not recognized as a “regular” alt.

[quote=“snowblend”]

No, you’re not.

On the other hand, not all Blender users use an US keyboard. In most languages with accents, the rightmost alt (aka AltGr, AltCar) is reserved for accent composition + extra chars, and is not recognized as a “regular” alt.[/quote]

didnt realize this
interesting that manufactuerers would take away an alt key to have an accent modifier instead of using one of those useless windows keys, the ones that make the start pop-up. in all of my experiences i have never seen anyone use those
oh wait except my grade school computer teacher but she used to work with the old green screen macs until 1998 when our school got new PCs