Some IK/Rigging questions

1: How do I add “degrees of freedom” I found limit rotation in the constraints menu but in the wiki DOF gives a visual representation of how the bones can move.

2: I can get some IK to work by adding target-less constraints to key bones but I still can’t figure out how “add to new empty object” and “add to active object” works.

3: Is their a way I can lock objects so their still visible but can’t be selected. After I rig a model I only need to move the bones so the mesh gets in the way but I still want to see it.

1: How do I add "degrees of freedom" I found limit rotation in the constraints menu but in the wiki DOF gives a visual representation of how the bones can move.

On the “Armature Bones” tab, you can lock the rotation with the Loc (X,YZ) Rot button, and limit it wiht the Limit (X,Y,Z) buttons. If you press Limit, you will get new fields to set the max and min rotation value in.

3: Is their a way I can lock objects so their still visible but can’t be selected. After I rig a model I only need to move the bones so the mesh gets in the way but I still want to see it.

This is done in the outliner. You’ll see a little eye, a little arrow and a little picture for toggling visibility, selectabilty, and renderability on and off.

I don’t know about #2 offhand… the build I’m using is behaving strangely with Ctrl-I…

Thanks, I’ll try that now.