Some problems with Local rotations

Hi.
Can someone do the following test and explain me what is going on ?
Create new scene.
Be sure to be in Object mode.
Move the default cube to a random location (say 1,2,-3)
Rotate it randomly around all axis.

Now open the Transform properties window to view your objects properties.
Select your object and rotate it along its LOCAL X AXIS.
only the RotX value is changing (logical)
Now rotate it along its LOCAL Y AXIS: everything is changing ! RotX and RotZ as well :confused:
Now rotate it along its LOCAL Z AXIS: everything is changing ! RotX and RotY as well :confused:

Hmmm…
Why is that ?
I currently write a script where i rebuild a kind of “track to” constraint and that is a source of trouble to me…

Someone has a clue ???

Blender 2.45 on XP

RR is Trackball and will ignore any axis you type after that. R-Y rotates around Global Y and R-YY around Local Y.

Rotate it randomly around all axis.

If you then Ctrl-A it’ll then show only rotation in one axis if you use R-Y

only the RotX value is changing (logical)

I can’t repeat that (and explained why).

The Transform Manipulator (gizmo) has more options.

%<

???

Sorry, i don’t think you got the point i was trying to make…
Did you try the manipulation i was suggesting line after line ?

RR is Trackball and will ignore any axis you type after that. R-Y rotates around Global Y and R-YY around Local Y.
Yes i know that quite well in fact… That is clear.
RR ok RY RYY etc no problems with that at all ! I know the difference between local and global axis…

The fact is:
Choose a randomly rotated object
If you press RXX (LOCAL) and move your mouse around then only the RotX value changes in the Transform properties panel
BUT if you press RYY or RZZ (local Y axis or local Z axis ): ALL 3 Rot values change.

Why does the loxal X axis behave differently than the Y or Z local axis ???

I like your… spirit. Yes, you have found a bug in the Transform tab; it shows Local Rotation on X and Global on the other two.

%<

/me peers at it.

It should show changes on all of them because anything you do in object space/mode is affecting the global<->local space interface, right?

/me tries not to be confused.

Just take his randomly rotated example cube, turn the Axis on in F7 and rotate it with the numbers in the N tab and you’ll see that X turns on the arm of the axis no matter where you rotate it in Global space.

%<

There are some more porblems if i use python to rotate the object.
I think i’ll create a new thread in the python section.
But it is impossible to use polorix at the moment… Grr