Some Ubuntu questions...

I hope this is the appropriate place to put this. If there is a better location, please let me know.

I am a longtime Windows user, and I am looking to build a new machine soon. I would like to run Ubuntu on the new machine alongside Windows (not ready to give up on windows completely.) What is the best way to install both of these. I am planning on having a hard drive for each OS. Does it matter which one is set up first?

Next, I have installed Ubuntu on an old work machine to try it out a bit, and I’m having a bit of difficulty with installing the latest version of blender. How do you do this? If I go to the software center thing it does the install just fine, but I would like to run a recent graphicall build like I do currently for windows. I can download the build and open the archive to a folder, but I can’t figure out what to do from there. What do I need to do to install this or be able to run from a folder?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

OK, so getting windows up first is going to be preferred? Is it just as simple as installing Ubuntu to the second drive after that, and how does the bootloader to select the OS work?

What about installing a current Blender build from graphicall on Ubuntu? Still haven’t figured that out. I’ve only seen/used Ubuntu for a total of about an hour now, so I honestly have no idea what I am doing with it yet.

Yes, install Windows first and then Ubuntu. Windows won’t “see” Ubuntu, but Ubuntu should “see” Windows and set up the bootloader for you. You can do it the other way, but it requires manual configuration on your part. After you have both installed, when you boot up your computer a list will pop up where you can select which one you want.

As for Blender. Open a terminal and drag and drop the “blender” file onto it and hit enter. It should throw an error and tell you what is missing. Post that here and someone could more easily explain what you need to do.

rcpongo, try a build from http://builder.blender.org/download/ these builds are build like the official builds from blender.org.
Unpack it and as xrg says, open a terminal and went to the folder where you have unpacked it with cd (change directory).
Start with ./blender
For example:

[email protected]:~> cd /daten/blender-2.63-r47728-linux-glibc27-x86_64/
[email protected]:/daten/blender-2.63-r47728-linux-glibc27-x86_64> ./blender

Cheers, mib.