Something done with Blender PovAnim and POV-Ray photons...

(IamInnocent) #1

First of all, this is not my work but that of Richie. I’m forwarding it here for him because he isn’t confident enough in his mastery of the english language. As for you, I thought you’d be highly interested.

Here’s the original message :

mes 2 premiers essais avec povanim, j’ai testé l’effet photon de povray

http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/animations/poisson.mpg

celle-ci date d’hier, mauvais mouvement de caméra, mais j’aime assez les effets de lumières,

http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/animations/vagues.mpg

Which translate to :

my first two experiences with PovAnim. I’ve tested the photon effect of PovRay.

(here first link)

This one I made yesterday. The camera motion is poor but I rather like the light effects.

(second link)

I hope you enjoy as much as I did. Bear in mind that, although very worthy, these efforts are only the beginning of the discovery of what the association of those three pieces of software will bring us.
If you have any kind of comments just add them here and I’ll be the gobetween.

(blengine) #2

wow, crap thats good man :o the water is extremely realistic… very well done!

(IamInnocent) #3

You should read Richie say that there’s so much wrong, that he did not put any IOR for the water and the aquarium. The guy makes me sick of envy. :wink:

(Nayman) #4

okay, explain how you did?

(IamInnocent) #5

‘I’ haven’t done it, as you should have read.
So I don’t have the play by play.
Essentially the modelling and animation (armatures for the fish) is done in Blender while the waves and their physics are the product of a special script Richie had to write.
Everything is the exported to Pov-Ray through PovAmim.
Then the code is refined to include photons calculations.

(pofo) #6

Beautiful, simpy beautiful.

What more can I say?

1. pofo

(jms) #7

‘I’ haven’t done it, as you should have read.
So I don’t have the play by play.
Essentially the modelling and animation (armatures for the fish) is done in Blender while the waves and their physics are the product of a special script Richie had to write.
Everything is the exported to Pov-Ray through PovAmim.
Then the code is refined to include photons calculations.[/quote]

:o Note that povanim module exports photons tags for the lamps (if “halo” mode is choosen) and mesh objects (if there is a “wire” material on these objects).

:x In the version used by richie there was a problem with the normals: they wasn’t exported for each frame, only on the first one. So he had had to export every frame “handly” all saturday’s evening.

:smiley: This problem is now corrected in version 12e ( http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile/povanim.htm ) It was tested with klopes’s waves script.

1. Particulars: in original version povanim exported only animated material but, last Thursday, the code was modified specialy for richie who wanted to work on not animated material. Now you have the choice.

jm

(overextrude) #8

Wow!

This is very impressive - one of the most realistic anims I’ve seen yet.

(stephen2002) #9

humm…good water effects.

The only thing that I saw that was wrong with it was that you could see that the water was a mesh (artifcacts in the shadow/caustic effect) right after the ball was dropped in in the second animation.

Oh, and where did the little ball go after dropped into the water. It seems to dissapear?

Other than that, nice water :slight_smile:

(IamInnocent) #10

I think that the ‘little ball’ was intended to be a drop of water. :wink:

Bear in mind that all this is just the very beginning. People are still feeling their way in and PovAnim is evolving furiously. Pov-Ray is far from dead itself. There is an enormous potential in this combination of softs and tools and we’re in for some very interesting moments, I’m sure.

(jms) #11

You can !! :stuck_out_tongue:

jm