Something wrong with Blender

Every time I start it up, my keyboard goes nuts and starts acting like I’m typing “ABABABABABABABABABABABABAB” nonstop. It’s fine until I fire up Blender. I can’t use any program, it starts up another Blender instance when I click Start (possibly because Blender starts with B and it thinks I’m pressing B to start Blender?), and the task manager doesn’t work. I tried reinstalling, and I have no idea what could be causing this. Any and all help is appreciated!

…so since you didn’t specify, I’m guessing you’re using windows?

Please post system specs and blender version.

And whether you have any unusual input devices connected to your system.

If you’re working on a desktop, try pluggin the keyboard into another computer and see if it behaves the same way. That way, you can diagnose whether it is a hardware or software issue.

Using Windows XP, and Blender 2.46 (though when I reinstalled, I put in 2.48a and it did the exact same thing.)

It only behaves like this after I start blender, so I highly doubt it’s a keyboard problem. It’s run fine for me for years, and I only just used Blender last night, so I don’t know if there’s anything that would have changed in that timeframe…maybe a virus scan is in order?

Try to get a hand on another keyboard and plug that one in and see if it still happens. If it does it is a problem with the software on you computer if it doesn’t it is a problem with your keyboard.
It might be that the A and B keys are stuck somehow and other programs just ignore those but judging from your statement that is unlikely the case. Do you see any behaviour like that when using a simple texteditor?

Text editors, IMs, even the Start menu can’t be brought up without it thinking I’m hitting B for blender and immediately closing it to start another instance of Blender. I have to use the power key to turn off the computer. And I’m certain its not a keyboard problem - even if I unplug the keyboard it doesn’t stop.

I’m starting to wonder if it is a blender problem however - this morning I started up my comp and it started going “wewewewewewe” as soon as I booted up, but I just started up this afternoon and it’s fine again. I have no idea what’s going on…:frowning: thanks for your help so far guys!