Sometimes my geometry is missing or heavily distorted when linking

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with a character production pipeline in Blender?

My workflow has been, link in a character rig and make library overrides. Then animate an action and save. Then in a new scene, link in the animated rig.

Mostly it’s been working fine, but on the odd occasion, some of my character geometry disappears or the verts get really distorted from their original position. The strange thing is that the behaviour is extremely inconsistent! I try linking that animated rig into another scene and everything is fine. I try linking it to a clean scene and the geometry is missing. Restart Blender a few times, try the same thing and presto, the geometry is back to normal.

I’m pulling my hair out a bit as I’m on a deadline, and this is just killing me. I’ve used Blender in production before, but not with the workflow described above. It seems like an issue with library overrides, but it’s so inconsistent, I don’t know what to make of it. Maybe I should’ve stuck to Proxies :frowning:

I would really love to hear other people’s production workflow for characters and if they have any idea what is going on here?

Blender 2.93.3
Workstation:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
64GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 3060 (Studio Driver v.471.68)
Windows 10 Pro (10.0.19042 Build 19042)

I’m not 100% sure this is the reason for the issues, but I had some meshes with shape keys driven by custom properties on one of the rig controls. They were just to change between the different characters shapes, so I didn’t have to have separate rig files. I ended up applying each shape key in its own rig file and deleted the custom properties.

Now the linked files don’t have any issues. I don’t understand the inconsistency with the problem though - it’s not something I can produce every time.