Sony Watchman Voyager

Focus is on achieving hyper realistic renders. I found it hard to get the speckled metal finish before. Also lighting for light backgrounds was challenging for me. So I chose the walkman. It has a simple geometric form but complex materials with the metal, rubber, glass overlay, screen and other lights.

This is the first time I color graded in addition to the original render. I wanted to get the 80’s feel to the image.

Do give critical feedback!

check out my instagram for more of my work: @design_shenanigans

Also to know more about the process check out the behind the scene article on blenernation:

71 Likes

Oh man, this is so good. If you have any of your favorite breakdown tips/tricks, I’d appreciate it. Killer work.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

I would call myself an intermediate user of blender, in no way am I an expert yet. So most tips/tricks that I find useful are really based off others peoples works/blogs/tutorials etc. Anyways, here are a few of my favorite: (you can search them up to know further)

1. Boolean workflow for hardsurface modelling
  2. Bevel hard edges
  3. Smudge/Grunge texture for surface irregularities
  4. Pointiness/Ambient Occlusion node to add edge defects
  5. And the rest is really upon how good you compose and light it which is a different set of skills in itself
2 Likes

Thank you for the tips. I’ll be sure to research them and add to my workflow. Again, great piece.

1 Like

You nailed the look for sure, congrats! Looks stunning. :clap:

1 Like

Good job. You nailed the 80’s feel, and this definitely looks realistic!

I wanted to compare your renders to actual photos of a walkman, but I could not find any images of this particular model. Is this based off of a real walkman, or is it concept art?

I SO wanted this when I was a kid :slight_smile: Amazing render!

2 Likes

The only thing I would suggest is that some of the images look a bit noisy, could be from the denoiser or low samples. But this is really only a minor thing, the model looks great :headphones:

1 Like

Thank You!!

Thank You!!, yup I can imagine this being a great gadget back in the days.

I wouldnt know though, born in 1999 :kissing_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Aah, yes, thank you for the feedback. I think I went too far with the grain effect. I added that to get the old image feel from pre digital era. However, yes I think the denoising and low sample counts are at fault as well, especially in the dark areas.

Somehow all of this becomes visible only after you look at your artwork after a few days with fresh eyes!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation. Stay safe, and have a great weekend!

3 Likes

You’re #featured! :tada:

1 Like

omg!! Thank you so much. It was always my dream as a kid to get featured on this site!

1 Like

I see what you did there :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, this is a render that actually looks good with a lower sample count.

1 Like

No critical feedback here. You nailed every aspect even your camera angles. It’s a pleasure to look at.

2 Likes

Added a link to the behind the scenes article on blendernation. Check it out to know more about the process:

1 Like