Sorcar - Procedural modeling in Blender using Node Editor

Nice Plugin @aachman98 ! Thanks!!!

I discovered it yesterday and have been testing today. The first idea I’ve had was to use it to merge the result of a bend modifier… and it worked like a charm, although I’ve been having problems with the “select components manually” node, it has an erratic behavior that changes randomly the selection every time the mesh updates.

Don’t know if I don’t use it properly or if this is a bug. I’ll leave here the .blend file in case you want to take a look. And thanks again! :grinning:
sorcar_random_manual_selection.blend (985.4 KB)

1 Like

There is no node for selecting components inside another object. Maybe you can achieve what you want by an alternate method:

1. Boolean Modifier with mode “intersect” & “difference”: Duplicate the original object and apply a boolean modifier to each (one intersect, one diff). This way, you can get two separate objects (one inside, one outside). Merge them later to get back a single object.
    EDIT:
  1. Overlap node (not released yet): Select components that are overlapping with another object.

As for the loops, I have already implemented For loop (released) and For-Each loop (not released) is done as well. See the example below which demonstrates the use of overlap & loop nodes (assuming for-next loops function in the same way as for-each loops).
EDIT: (sorry, forgot to upload this…)

You can select/deselect components based on (or assign them to) vertex groups. See nodes “Vertex Group” and “Select by Vertex Group”. Same goes for Materials (selecting and assigning).
There is no node for vertex weight though. I’ll add them to the list.

Manual selection node simply stores the selected components and reselects them when the geometry is regenerated. It is possible that the generated geometry has different index values (or maybe less/more number of components). This will either result in unexpected selection or simply generate an error (array out of bound…). It works if you can ensure that the number of components remain the same before that node.

3 Likes

Thank you @aachman98, I appreciate the assistance.

I can’t find the For Loop in v3.0.2 beta in 2.81 daily build. Any pointers please?

Is it possible to keyframe the node value? I can right click on the values in the nodes and set a keyframe but they do not appear in the dopesheet. I’m a relative noob with Blender so please forgive if this is a stupid question.

Sorry, my bad…:see_no_evil:
Forgot to include the flow control nodes in the beta. Just finishing up testing of node tree and internal data conversions. Will be releasing it by tomorrow.

No, they cannot be keyframed as of now. You can use the “Scene Info” node to get the frame information (in realtime as well)

Hey everyone!

Got some good news and… some more good news! I recently saw this video:

First of all, a HUGE congratulations to team Blender for the very informative conference & the amazing tech they are developing. I was really impressed at the state of development and the upcoming features they have planned. However, there were queries regarding parametric modelling and @Jacques_Lucke confirmed that work on EverythingNodes will begin after ParticleNodes project (04:10).
Problems like “…when modifiers will become nodes…” (03:47) and “…still have editing options after you start to modify…” (56:21) have already been addressed in this addon. Most importantly, “parametric objects” (56:08) is basically the core feature of Sorcar. So, I think it’s time to double down the effort and bring Sorcar upto a standard, meaning throwing away my degree in lazyology and no more running away from documentation, making more tutorials…:laughing:

I will be releasing the v3.1 by today (busy updating the landing page & intro video) as well as creating a page for it on Itch, Gumroad, BlenderNation, etc. I have been testing it for a week now, and it is more stable than ever :smiley:. The couple of bugs mentioned in earlier posts (regarding Bevel node and Vector socket layout) have been fixed as well.

And the timing of the release couldn’t be more convenient! :star_struck:

Firstly, ProcJam is being hosted on Itch.io and is accepting submissions till next week. If you want, fire up Blender, enable Sorcar and “make things that make things”, to quote the jam itself!

Secondly, Epic MegaJam is right around the corner. So, I will put most of my effort in coming up with ideas to create procedural content. I’ll probably create the game environment using nothing but Sorcar (will also record my every session in Blender during that time). Given my obvious lack of creativity as an artist, you may find some more of my tutorials that are ripped off of some existing Houdini tutorial (sorry for that in advanced…:see_no_evil:), and some inspired by Ian Hubert’s “Lazy Tutorials” approach.

And lastly, a very happy Nodevember to everyone! Hoping to see Sorcar made content on social media or on this thread :grinning:

Cheers,
-PA

12 Likes

Hi Punya Aachman,

you’re doing such a great job!
wouldn’t mind to pay something for your addon if it helps you in developing it.

I had some issues with the recent version (like creating a new node-tree but getting the model from another node tree…?) but I’m hopeful that they will be resolved.

Anyways Sorcar is already pretty incredible!

I’m an artist working on a webcomic and I use Blender for backgrounds. I’d like to help promoting Sorcar.
Are you on Twitter? Any hashtags you could recommend regarding your addon?
Best wishes

Soul Stinger

2 Likes

@aachman98 I’m really looking forward to V3.1 so congratulations in advance for all your hard work. The best compliment I can give Sorcar is that it feels like a core Blender feature more than an Addon, so well done.

Anything you can do by way of tutorials and documentation will be time well spent.

Cheers

p.s. I tried using the Scene Info node but the Current Frame output does not update in realtime and only does so when I hit the ‘refresh node’ button.

2 Likes

Hi! Just a quick question:
Is it possible to translate randomly selected vertecies in a for each loop? i want
Why doesn’t this work for me here?

Best wishes

Thank you! I will let you know when I have set up a Patreon account. Never used it before, so I may need some time to get my head around it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Are you using Blender 2.79? Sorcar v2 did have some issues regarding multiple node trees. That is now fixed in v3, which requires Blender 2.80 or later.

Thanks :grinning:! I’m glad you liked Sorcar. Hopefully Blender API will improve by next version (Python 3.8, Deps Graph…) which will be useful in creating more seamless interactions, like creating nodes automatically acc. to the user’s actions (two-way data flow).

“Refresh Node” buttons are now removed in v3. If you are using Blender 2.79 (Sorcar v2), then frame realtime isn’t possible. In Blender 2.80 (Sorcar v3), simply enable realtime update using this checkbox:

For-Each loop in v2 works on selected faces only (I know…it’s a bummer :see_no_evil:)
That is exactly why I made the v3 for-loop node in such a way that it can take any array as an input (not just the array of selected components). This way, you can even create a custom array of indices manually and have the loop node execute each element.

I guess I need to get a dictionary :laughing:
Sorry for the delay, though. Updating the readme on github, creating GIFs and showcase image took more than a day (not what I was expecting :nauseated_face:). Kudos to all the web developers out there…

Anyways, v3.1 is out on GitHub! Download from here: https://github.com/aachman98/Sorcar/archive/v3.0-alpha.zip
I’m still trying to get the design part and the release sorted. It says alpha, but it’s actually v3.1.0
You may have to rename the addon folder (remove the “.” from name).

4 Likes

sc_thumbnail

Hmm, for some reason it wont appear in my addons window. i should just select the rar file after pressing ‘‘install’’ right? i tried it with 2.8 and 2.82alpha

i tried the 2.82 because i was like, hey, maybe the 2.82alpha recognizes the rar file as a friend cause of the alpha name in it,:upside_down_face: sillyness.

Hi @aachman98. Installing 3.1 solved the Realtime update issue but I am encountering an issue when I’m using the Current Frame output and Realtime is selected my outliner gets filled with copies of the object when I scrub the timeline.

I’m driving an extrude with the current frame output via a map range node.

I’m using 2.81 daily build. I’ve tested on Win10 and MacOS, both exhibit the same behaviour. If I’m doing something wrong please feel free to correct.

Can’t seem to install it. How should be exactly called in appdata folder?

the file name says v3.0-alpha.zip ?

if you activate the addon then you have 3.1.0

Rename it to Sorcar image

1 Like

Sorry that is not what I meant, aachman said it is v3.1 but the zip was name v3.0. I was trying to see if the file naming was a mistake. It sounds like only the naming was referring the older version.

Yes, you are right the name is not correct for the zip

1 Like

Can you invert your selection With v3.1 ?