Sorcar - Procedural modeling in Blender using Node Editor

Thanks for information @aachman98. I have seen animations purporting to be by Sorcar on Twitter and I wondered why I kept crashing and if I had a local issue. I’m guessing the examples must be viewport captures not rendered.

I think what you’re doing is great but I’m more interested in procedural animation so I’ll crack on with AN and Sverchok and wait patiently for any news on the rendering fix. Many thanks.

1 Like

@aachman98
what’s the difference between extrude region and extrude

“Extrude” is extrusion based on context (vert/edge/face). “Extrude Region” works on selected faces (grouped ones get extruded with a common edge)

https://docs.blender.org/api/current/bpy.ops.mesh.html#bpy.ops.mesh.extrude_context_move
https://docs.blender.org/api/current/bpy.ops.mesh.html#bpy.ops.mesh.extrude_region_move

1 Like

graph: What’s “AN”?

animation nodes, an addon for Blender by Jacques Lucke, which basically provides nodes for procedural animation and stuff.

@aachman98
found some wried things on selection node
Random selection always get updated, should there be an option to fix it
Select Nth can’t set Nth Element to 1
Number Node with random toggled , max and min don’t appear
Select by Vertex Group doesn’t show a selection blank box in the first place

I have watched the tutorial of which the link is below
But is there a way to save “Selection Region” for get selected later
in case if you don’t want to inset before subdivide to avoid subdivide mess up the select

And I ddin’t find clear transformations too (Alt + G ,R ,S)

Lastly, recently, I was trying using SC with AN , but the object resulted by SC and picked by AN will be lost if you update SC node. It seems to recreate the result object after updating preview of SC.is it nesscary to delete and create again the result object? Instead , just swaping the mesh data and change the properties of object , but still keeping the object ID where keeps the links to tools like AN , Tissue , modifier stack.Which makes SC more flexible and powerful.

1 Like

We’re still working on the fracture node.
And here’s another little tests with fracture:

13 Likes

Hi All

I would like to let everyone know about my new OSC (OpenSoundControl) addon. It has customized Sorcar nodes to remotely change values.

7 Likes

Very cool this is happening.

2 Likes

I would like to query faces based on area and have a Boolean if greater than specific area to select faces. I am checking out the component info but it only displays location info and normal. Is it possible to query area?

1 Like

OMG just discovered this addon and i want say this addon is crazy super amazing unbelieveable cool !!! cant believe i didnt try it sooner. this should have been in blender from day 1 existence!!!
:astonished: THANKS :flushed:

4 Likes

Hello. I’ve just discovered the add-on. It looks very nice! I have some questions.

1. Is it possible to work with fall offs (or some kind of threshold).
  2. Is it possible to have random numbers by selections? Right now I have a random selection node inseting a grid, but it would be nice to have each of the selections to have a different number (for depth).
  3. Can the parameters be animatable?

Thank you!

1 Like

sir @aachman98 i trying to build something but i got stuck , i cant find repeat node, proportional editing , then the randomise transform dont have edit mode option, and vertex node doesnt adding group automatically.

i just wanted add vertex then extrude, repeat, select random and then extrude and then randomize location and on that put sin modifier…so to build like a tree i thought…

and i didnt find way myself how to hook each selected vertex to empty…

well i really nood in thinking… but i wanted to ask to make it nodes with shortcuts like randomize transform to have edit mode and etc… so it would be as simple as possible to understand/create for artists. thats why i gave up animaiton nodes because it was way to hard… i mean learning modeling, rigging, animating, materials what not else takes time to learn but then to make really cool stuff like with nodes should be simple ad possible for everyone to understand.

please @aachman98 help :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello, is it possible that there is a bug with “select by vertex group”? I get an error, after that I can select a vertex group but it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

@aachman98 Have you thought about extending your addon with a “stack UI” in the Property editor? Like the same concept of Layer Painter which use stack UI on the surface throught the node system under the hood. Stack UI while it’s simpler yet it’s way faster than nodes when you create single objects; and Blender still lacking a good bunch of modifiers that can get covered by your custom nodes.

Hi @SoulStinger , I dont know if I understood you well, but you should create first the vertex group with the node with the same name, it will store in the vertex group the selection you had previously selected… My english is not very good, so I think an image can help a bit more :sweat_smile:

1 Like

stone generator

with lods

7 Likes

Any issues with curves with bevel? I get instant crashes always.

add a curve

add bevel depth

add it as custom object

add a smooth mod and set to preview

now select the custom object again

set to preview

crash

I have problems with the “for each component” node… does anyone get this too?
It just pops up “randomly” and nothing works anymore…
for example if I assign a material to some faces beforehand… I get this:

1 Like

Hi there Punya :slight_smile: Thank you so much for Sorcar, you are a champ!

I will have one question concerning custom objects in Sorcar. When I bring in a custom object, it creates a linked copy to process, which is great. But I want to be able to hide the source object out of view as it obstructs what I’m doing with the generated one. I’ve tried everything but no avail. Is there a way I can go about this?

thank you :slight_smile:

AJ

3 Likes