Sorry, but I don't get it, have to ask

bah! who needs booze when youve got pineapple?!

if uve seen little nickey that last coment should be banned :o

Well, when life (or the afterlife) serves you grapes, make wine! :wink:

Sorry, couldn’t resist…rimshot please…

or raisins :smiley:

you too? Geez, I thought I was the only one. didn’t you? yes. It’s kind of hard though, right? yes.
oops. there I go talking to myself in the threads…lol oh shutup. you! you! YOU! ok. :frowning:
I lost again…

LOL@Joe!!! he he he! :smiley:

if uve seen little nickey that last coment should be banned

Oh man, thanks for reminding me. I can never think of any videos to rent on the weekend, and this is one I’ve been wanting to see. Of course with all the kids, we seldom go out to see movies (except kiddy ones)

This weekend, it’s Little Nickey!

hee hee hee! (and soon I’ll know what the pineapples are about besides making pinia colladas)

By the way, imgrandpaboy, that angel game was a laugh!

Piñas coladas!!! mmmmmmmmmm! delicious! he he he! :slight_smile:

The “Oxford Dictionary of Current English” defines Elysium as:

Elysium n. 1 (also Elysian Fields) (in Greek mythology) abode of the blessed after death. 2 place of ideal happiness. Elysian adj. (Latin from Greek)

Is it possible to make vodka, whisky and stuff like that with grapes? If it is, when i die, i wanna go to elysium (whatever it means…)

vodka is made with grain (weath) crushed, fermented, distilled, NOT aged (tht’s why vodka is harsh and cheap)

whiskey is made with grain too (but malt) crushed fermented, distilled and AGED (that’s why wiskey is smooth, tasty and costly)

With grapes you make:

Not so strong:
Porto (hey, you’re from Portugal, you know!)

Strong:
Cognac (French - wine, distilled, aged)
Armagnac (French - similar to Cognac, different region/procedure)
Grappa (Italy - made from what it remains of grapes after wine is filtered out, re-fermented, distilled, aged, usualy water clear like vodka, but much smoother/refined)
Ouzo (Grece - similar procedur than grappa, but anis flavoured)
Brandy (General, it exists in Spain, France and Italy, similar to Cognac (but don’t tell Frencmans, they are so sensitive…)

What you can’t do

Tequila (Agave leaves fermented & distilled)
Calvados (Apple juice fermented and distilled)

Liqueurs in general are made with plain alchool (grain one is cheaper) with flavours

My Top 5 is

Whiskey
Calvados
Grappa
Cognac
Armagnac

Stefano

P.S.

Elysium comes from ancient Greek mithology, so maybe ther’s only Ouzo there :stuck_out_tongue:

of course the great italian contribution to the drinking effort is Sambuca. nice. but does anyone know how you make that?

i hope its not possible to make absynth easily . . .

<my edit> in fact is grappa sambuca? </my edit>

Sambuca is a Liqueur, hence it is pure achool + flavours (anis is the main one) + water + sugar.

True Sambuca as of course a secret copyrightd recipy, but I have somewhere an anis liqueur recipy I’ll share with you ASAP

<EDIT>

Ingredienti: 1/2 litro di alcool a 90 gradi - 1/2 litro d’acqua - 600 gr di zucchero - 15 gr di semi di anice - 4 gr di semi di finocchio
In un vaso di vetro pulito ed asciutto mettere l’alcool, i semi di anice ed i semi di finocchio; far macerare per una settimana in un luogo buio ed asciutto a recipiente chiusi ermeticamente; filtrare l’alcool; preparare lo sciroppo con lo zucchero e l’acqua, portando ad ebollizione; mescolarlo all’alcool, filtrare, far riposare per un giorno, imbottigliare e tappare.

0.5 liter of alchool 90° (strage, usually they sell it 95°, It is the same)
0.5 liter water
600g of sugar
15g anis seeds (anice stellatum is the best)
4g wild fenouil seeds (taste similar to anis, so you can plainly go with 19g anis seeds if you don’t find wild fenouil)

In a clean and dry glass vase place the alchool, the anis and fenouil seeds; let a week pass keeping the vase sealed in a dry dark place; filter the alchool; prepare a syrup boiling water and sugar untill sugar is dissolved; (let it cool down); mix alchool and syrup; let it repose for one day; bottle it and seal the bottle. (personally I would wait soome time to let flawours mix well, say one month also, tipically, alchool is coloured but clear, and when you add water it turns opaque. After some aging it turns back to clear. This is expecially true for strongly coloured liqueurs (lemon, orange, etc.)

</EDIT>

Stefano

Hello to all. :smiley:

I am confirming, the Greek Mythology thing. Elysiun must undoubtably come from Elysiun fileds (the Greek version of Paradise for heroes something like Valhala for the Skandinavians).

Well, as for what the menu is up there… I am not very sure because, if I was sure, then that would mean that I am in deep trouble (probably dead) :-? .

I sure hope they have girls 8) and they don’t serve only Ouzo, because if you drink too much of that, you are gona have really bad dreams and you will wake up with the worst hangover, ever :frowning: .

Believe me I 'm Greek and I know… :wink:

There’s also Shnaps (spelling?) which you can make from just about anything (even potatoes)…

Martin

It’s spelled Schnaps (ever wondered where my name comes from? ;)), the german word for spirits. It is generic term for liquor, doesn’t describe any specific liquors. The funny thing is: In germany you often call liquor “Wasser” (water), e.g “Zwetschgenwasser” = plum brandy.