South Pole of the Moon

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8lADRp4dU?rel=0&w=1000&h=538]

Two minute flyover of the South Pole Region of the Moon during a full lunar day. 4.6 million faces. Five by five degree area; 100 meter data derived from LDEM_875_5M.jp2 produced by the LOLA science team. Sun 1.4 degrees south of the equator; Summer at the South Pole.

Very cool. May I suggest that you keep the Moon surface and Sun source light steady, and instead rotate the camera around the scene. The shadows creeping up and down the craters are not very realistic.

But pretty interesting!

Totally agree with the above poster that it is a very cool video, but the movement of the sunlight across the surface detracts from the realism.

The Moon is realistic, and the shadows represent the 708 hour lunar day, compressed to two minutes. I have other videos at finkh.wordpress.com with the camera fixed, and some on youtube with the sun fixed and the camera moving. This has both, so it is not realistic at all.

The Moon is realistic, and the shadows represent the 708 hour lunar day, compressed to two minutes. I have other videos at finkh.wordpress.com with the camera fixed, and some on youtube with the sun fixed and the camera moving. This has both, so it is not realistic at all.