Spaceship fleet

Satellites featured in “2001 : A Space Odyssey”. Very quick and dirty animation and lighting setup, I just wanted to see if this was even possible. The spaceships have taken about a month to model (one per week is not too bad, I think :slight_smile: ) - the animation was quickly rigged and rendered today. This is only a test - I really want to make a video much like this but using ALL my spaceships, for which I’d spend a lot longer setting up the lighting and whatnot.

I liked the variation in your models. Maybe add more greebles to the exteriors to give an impression of size?

In one day you rigged and rendered that video? Do you live near the Weta Render Farm?

So what spaceships are yours and what not in the video? The planet?
I like the way the camera moves in the video like going in a direction but also a little wandering.

gregin3D : thanks. It’s tough to give an accurate impression of size as they’re supposed to be unmanned and there’s no data on how big they’re supposed to be. I was aiming for about the 20m range.

In one day you rigged and rendered that video? Do you live near the Weta Render Farm?

Hehe, no, but the lighting is super-simple : just one sun and one hemi lamp. Also I cheated a little and rendered the Earth at half-size. There’s no motion blur, minimal AA and no AO. The camera work is nothing but keyframing the location and rotation of the camera… it’s very much a no-frills render.

So what spaceships are yours and what not in the video? The planet?

It’s all mine. Using someone else’s spaceship would be like using their toothbrush and wearing their underwear… urrgh !
What I meant was I would to make a similar video but using my entire spaceship collection, at least the ones I can still find the .blends for…