Spaceship shoots itself (bullets leaving gun)

I have a TIE fighter zooming around which shoots lasers when I hit the spacebar. The lasers are another object on layer2 which are added through “edit object” with constant linY speed, lasting for about a second.

Problem is, the lasers hit the guns of their host TIE fighter on leaving. I can fix this by making them ghost (as in attached file), but then I want them to end whenever colliding with any other object (no going through walls), as well as having other objects get hit by them (material detection) including friendly fire if I have several TIE fighters.

What sort of things should I be doing to make my TIE fighter immune only to its own lasers?

Attachments

tiefighter_game01.blend (46.6 KB)

Parent an empty to your ship and put it where you want the lasers to be created (out of the bounds of the ship). Then use the empty to shoot stuff.

-Sam

Haha - fantastic! Thanks.

Parent an empty to your ship and put it where you want the lasers to be created (out of the bounds of the ship). Then use the empty to shoot stuff.
Dammit you beat me to it.

I usually make the guns of the ship No-collide so the lasers actually come out of the ship still.