Spaceship

Yeah Yeah another space model. Well I have seen some space stuff and heard some ideas and now I want to give it a shot at making a space ship. Anyway here is the engine I have been working on for the ship. Tell me what you think.

SirMikey

Attachments

nice nice very nice. i like the detailing that you’re doing. i would say start out with the design for the whole ship, but you may as well just do the engine, and figure out the design a section at a time. IMHO the best way to improve a sapceship/tech-related render is to add doodads (greeble, hull thingie-magigies). they can be very time-consuming to do but add a lot to the render. when i look back at the renders i’ve had from before i greebled my hulls, they look really terrible. only with my most recent couple of projects have i gotten results that i really liked. keep up the good work!

Thanks. I got the basci design of the hull of the ship and I guess I am starting at the engines and heading forward. I will post another update soon. And your ship was the one that gave me the idea to make a ship. I love yours so far all the greeble is looking awesome.

SirMikey

Here is some more added to the engines. I am not to excited about my ships over all design. If you have any suggestions plz tell me. I kinda want a fst attack ship that can launch ground troops and fighters, but is still big enought to fight a spaceship. Basically I want a medium class attack cruiser design. Again plz give me some suggestions.

SirMikey

Attachments

Ok I decided to change the design of the engine. I like it better but I need some more suggestions as to adding detail. I am have a brain freeze so I am asking for a picture of a engine with detail or a word or two.

SirMikey

Attachments

well, i liked the old engines a lot, but the new ones could be pretty cool, i guess. it looks like some of the engine isn’t set smooth, so i would set smooth. also, look into the space tutorial.

http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/betterspace-tut-00.htm

this tut is what guided me on my ship, which is getting close to done with the side greeble btw. keep working at it!

OOH OOH! if its going to be a light attack cruiser, just my thoughts, it should be long, thin, sleek. when i think light attack cruiser, i think something fast and dangerous, and more maneurverable than a lumbering cruiser. just a thought.

Thanks, I like the idea of sleek and fast. And I think I am going to add some of the greeble from the old engine to the new engine. Btw you I want to see some more of your ship updated I reallt like all the detail on it. Thanks for the link.

SirMikey

Here is some more of the engine.

Attachments

Ok I think I am just aobut done with the engine. Besides add the texturing :smiley:

Attachments

that engine’s looking really good. i like the greeble a lot. how many engines are there going to be, and are they all going to be the same? think about things like the star destroyer, where the engines are different sizes/shapes. a lot of intersting stuff can be done with that.

I am not sure how many engines there will be eventually,but right now I think I will have just 2. Because it is supposed to be a sleak fast ship and a lot of engines make the ship seem heavy and big.

Here is a gun for the cruiser.

Attachments

just a thought, but what if the gun needs to shoot at a target above it? right now it looks kind of like a modern battleship gun, but if the thing you need to shoot is directly above you, you’ll be in trouble.

I know it looks a little like a today battleship gun but I like it so it stays. (unless there is something else better :D) That is the main gun made for shooting other large ships. I am going to have some point defense guns all over the ship for fighters and others.

SirMikey

Hmm, I think people get stuck on WWII style guns too much, Navy ships of the future might have railguns since they don’t have explosive shells only use the rails to propel slugs at the enemy. So if they are hit they won’t blow the ship apart.

Hmm… good thought. If you have any ideas Sonic plz tell me.

I have been busy lately and I havent been doing blender. I will have a update soon.

SirMikey

Here is the basic design of the ship. Crits would be nice, plz give some.

Attachments

one word, and one word only

bevel

Bevel or subsurf, but since subsurf can be a pain to UV map I’d say bevel by hand, takes longer but you’re less likely to screw up the mesh that way.

Have you ever been to wikipedia? They have a great bit of info on weapons and also pictures and diagrams. Which is where I first had the thought about railguns myself, see link below:

I see where you are going with your idea, Sonic. But I still need a design for the gun, I like the idea of using a railgun or a guass gun instead of a explosive gun but I need an idea on a design. I kinda got one but sugeestions would still help.

SirMikey