Speaker Problem

Hey,

Just looking for some technical help with my computer speakers.
About a year and a 1/2 ago, I bought a surround sound system for my computer, they worked and sounded fine. But now for some reason when I adjust the volume, the audio level will spike like static except with sound levels, I also have to turn down the sound card’s output to about 4% because the overall sound is loud too. I tried disconnecting the speakers from the card and it still does it, so it is not related to the sound card. And the weird thing is that if I leave them turned off for a while, and come back, they will work fine for about 5 min. then develop the problem again. If anyone can help or has an idea, it would be appreciated, because I would prefer not to buy a new speaker system :no:.

Sorry if it’s the wrong forum, wasn’t sure which one to put this in.

Speaker problems can be caused by a couple things:

faulty wiring
bad cone
magnet lossing…uh magnacity (lol) you know…it’s not as strong as it once was
capacitors failing-only relavent in a powered/amped system
im sure there are others but I can’t think of any right now.

Being as that after leaving em off for a couple of minutes and then turning them back on they sound fine for the first couple of minutes I would go with either the wiring, a bad cone or the capacitors. A wire can conduct electircity even if its not touching…this will produce static any time the connections move. A capacitor is used to store electricity. It builds it up and discharges when needed. If it’s not fully charging its not fully discharging, if its not fully discharging, the full power req isn’t being met which will also cause static. A bad cone can become even looser with vibration, which is why it would work for the first couple of minutes. The more vibration, the looser it becomes, the looser it becomes, the more vibrations get produced (circular effect with this one), vibrations can definitely cause static. Those are the only things I can think of right now that would cause static in a bad speaker.

Got to best buy/radio shack/walmart if you want and buy a cheep 5 dollar set of head phones. Plug em up into the SAME jack. If they have this issue, its the jack or the card. If they don’t you know your speakers are shot. Buying brand new speakers is more cost effective then repairing them to ‘like-new’ quality. After 1 1/2 years your speakers shouldn’t be dying, they can last well over 10 years depending on the frequencies they’ve put out and the length of use. Of course a powered system is completely different when it comes to life expectancy, but that has to do with the electrical components…all the crap that the speaker NEEDS to work should last you awhile. You’re probably outside of your warrenty though…sucks for you. You could also try “oiling” the cone, no don’t go and grab some wd40 and spray it onto your cone. Go grab some spray laquer and LIGHTLY spray the cone. This will tighten the fabric. If the cone is pulling away from the housing there are adhesives like EvoStick that will resolve that issue for you.

On a side note your cone could just be distorted. If you have high heat, or rested something on the cone, it could be rubbing the coil against the magnet which could also cause static. There really is no fix for this issue other than going in and ensuring this isn’t happening. I’d recommend researching speaker systems before you try taking the thing apart to try and repair this yourself…IF it’s the problem…but from your description of the issue I doubt this is the cause.

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried testing the sound card, and it is not that, it is only the speakers, and its not really static, but more like the volume level fluctuates widely when adjusting the volume, its hard to describe, but it is like static except with volume. Would the suggestions you provided apply to this too?

It looks way too late to answer but simply buying a new volume knob would fix the problem. I don’t know how much volume knobs cost, but you will have to open up the speaker to fix it. You will only have to replace one part though. If your speakers don’t have much bass, then you could just pinch the wires together after you repair the volume knob. If your speakers have some pretty loud movie-theater bass, then I recommend you solder them. I would recommend you research the speaker system you have and find out the wattage, ect. and possibly go to an electronics forum and find the right volume knob. If you don’t want to do all that then I would recommend the Logitech X-230 (if you already have that one, then try the Z-2300. It’s very loud, it has very strong bass, and is very reliable). It’s on the more expensive end though at a little over $100 to $150, but if you love loud music/movie theater style sound, then I would get it if I were you.